Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power loss

Old 12-24-2007, 04:06 PM
JLGotrocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power loss

I'll try to describe my problem as clearly as possible so if I'm missing some details let me know.

Anyway,for some reason my brand new battery seems to be dead.

I have shaved doors and I don't have the poppers installed (bought the car like that)so the only way to get into my car is to use the remote to roll the window down and open it from the inside.I have to jump the battery to get power to the windows to roll down(I leave the hood unlatched)then start the car.after jump starting the car I leave it running for about 10 minutes to let the alternator recharge the battery.Now here's where the real issues come in.

If I turn the car off and try to start the car immediately after turning it off,the windows will try to roll down,and there is a loud rapid clicking that sounds like it's coming from the inside of the door,possibly where the remote window control is,and the battery continues to drain until there is nothing.

Now when I went to Autozone the guy asked me if I had an alarm when I told him the problem that was happening and he said that he had heard about instances where the alarm was draining the battery and that seems to be the case but can it be draining the battery while the car is running?Is the alternator malfunctioning because it doesn't seem to be recharging the battery?I can't get the alarm checked out until the around the end of January,so I would like to know if anyone else had of knows someone who's had a similar issue and what the solutions were in fixing it.

Thanks.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 PM
nspec_Cd5

if there's somethign draining the battery contantly, the altenator will only help run the motor, it wont be able to charge the battery properly. In yuor case, the altenator seems to be good because it atleast keeps the car running.

just to let you know, I dont know if u realize this or not, but u've got a major problem w/ no easy way out. U'll have to get the alarm checked out by some professional if you want to keep the car the way it is. See if you can find a replacement control module for your alarm.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought the car in that condition because I know the problems i'll have w/ it. The easiest way out of this problem right now is to keep going in the direction the other owner was going, get the poppers installed, but u'll have new problems in future.

Or you can just tear the whole alarm out of the car, and replace your doors. Hopefully they didnt mess w/ the door pillars. This will keep you out of major headache in future. Will cost about $200-$300 and couple of days to find matching color doors and put everything together.

Any other short cut you try finding on this thing will lead to another problem and so on.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:26 PM
JLGotrocks

Originally Posted by nspec_Cd5
if there's somethign draining the battery contantly, the altenator will only help run the motor, it wont be able to charge the battery properly. In yuor case, the altenator seems to be good because it atleast keeps the car running.

just to let you know, I dont know if u realize this or not, but u've got a major problem w/ no easy way out. U'll have to get the alarm checked out by some professional if you want to keep the car the way it is. See if you can find a replacement control module for your alarm.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought the car in that condition because I know the problems i'll have w/ it. The easiest way out of this problem right now is to keep going in the direction the other owner was going, get the poppers installed, but u'll have new problems in future.

Or you can just tear the whole alarm out of the car, and replace your doors. Hopefully they didnt mess w/ the door pillars. This will keep you out of major headache in future. Will cost about $200-$300 and couple of days to find matching color doors and put everything together.

Any other short cut you try finding on this thing will lead to another problem and so on.

Thanks for responding.I'm glad it's not the alternator,so at least thats' one thing I can check off my list.

When I went to check this car out originally,I was a bit apprehensive,but the guy sold me the car for $1800 with just under 106k miles!That's unheard of out in this area to find a Honda with that few miles and that cheap.I knew I would have to put some money into it so I thought it was worth it.The good thing is that since I got this car I have learned a lot more about cars just working on this one than any other car I've owned.

Anyway,the paint job is custom,nothing too extravagant but not your run of the mill color,so getting new doors wouldn't be a problem but the paint would kill me.Like I said before,I do plan on having someone check it out,but they are backed up until mid/late January so I'll just have to wait. What are some of the "new problems" you mentioned when I get the poppers put in?
Old 12-25-2007, 03:22 PM
nspec_Cd5

new problems:
lets say u get everything running adn get the poppers installed.

common things that will break down fast agian,

poppers, alarm, "remote itself" and what everelse after market u've got installed.

if the battery dies again, u'll have to call someone to unlock the car everytime. it'll be nothing major afterwards, but small problems that will frustrate the hell out of u, unless u wanna live it and can fix it all urself.

what i'm really trying to say is that these are not things that u can just install and not worry about them breaking down later on and if u keep getting it all repaired by someone else, it'll drain out ur pocket like its draining ur battery right now.

and did u check to make sure those were the right miles?

Last edited by nspec_Cd5; 12-25-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:39 PM
JLGotrocks

Originally Posted by nspec_Cd5
new problems:
lets say u get everything running adn get the poppers installed.

common things that will break down fast agian,

poppers, alarm, "remote itself" and what everelse after market u've got installed.

if the battery dies again, u'll have to call someone to unlock the car everytime. it'll be nothing major afterwards, but small problems that will frustrate the hell out of u, unless u wanna live it and can fix it all urself.

what i'm really trying to say is that these are not things that u can just install and not worry about them breaking down later on and if u keep getting it all repaired by someone else, it'll drain out ur pocket like its draining ur battery right now.

and did u check to make sure those were the right miles?
I hear what you're saying but let's just say that if everything was OEM doesn't mean that it won't break down.for example,the front passenger's and rear driver's side door locks are screwed up,a typical problem for 5th gen Accords.Anyway,I'm not really worried about not getting into the car,I got that figured out already,and I'm fairly certain that the mileage is correct but I guess if someone really wants to be deceptive then I'm sure that they will find a way around it.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:23 PM
nspec_Cd5

i've had a bunch of shit go wrong w/ my car, but i pretty much fix everythign myself. if i were to take it to a mechanic, then i would have not been able to afford it. ur right about the oem parts breaking down, but they're all pretty old already and things will break down at this point.

IMO, I rather pay for repairing oem parts instead of paying for both. But if u have the money to take care of it, then i'd say go for it. I should be able to take care of my car good pretty soon and drop an h22 in there, if things work out well.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Tedmond

it could be anything that is draining your batt. I dont think it is your window module. the module doesnt draw that much anyways. its always on stanby untill a ground pulse it sent to activate ir. The only thing i can think of is the alarm itself. usaully alarms themselves dont even draw much. Try pulling the fuse on the alarm first and see how that goes. It might even be your battery. Get a load testdone on it @ autozone. i think its free.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:28 PM
JLGotrocks

Originally Posted by Tedmond
it could be anything that is draining your batt. I dont think it is your window module. the module doesnt draw that much anyways. its always on stanby untill a ground pulse it sent to activate ir. The only thing i can think of is the alarm itself. usaully alarms themselves dont even draw much. Try pulling the fuse on the alarm first and see how that goes. It might even be your battery. Get a load testdone on it @ autozone. i think its free.
I don't know if I mentioned this but the reason why I think it's the window is because when the battery is hooked up and the car is off and the windows are rolled up all the way,when I come back to it after it's been sitting overnight the driver's side window is rolled down about half way.When I was messing around with it the other day,I had the car running for about ten minutes and turned it off.I immediately tried to start it up after turning it off and there wasn't enough juice to turn it over,but the driver's window started rolling itself down really slowly and there was a constant clicking from what sounds like the window controller.By the way, the windows are directly tied into the alarm system but the actual speaker for the alarm is disconnected.

I'm not sure what fuse I should be looking for,do you know which one it is?And like is said before,the battery is brand new,bought it about 4 weeks ago and I had it tested when I blew a fuse and wasn't sure if the battery was ok or not,so I'm almost certain that the battery is fine,but I will have them check it out again just to be sure.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:01 PM
nspec_Cd5

r u sure windows are directly tied to the alarm? cause ususally if they make a relay to make ur windows go down to go w/ the alarm. there's definately something wrong w/ that relay then. and its always the relay that clicks.
ur gonna have to find it in ur dashboard or ur door panel.

show a pic of what ur the stuff under ur dash looks like, that will helf finding out.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:02 PM
nspec_Cd5

r u sure windows are directly tied to the alarm? cause ususally if they make a relay to make ur windows go down to go w/ the alarm. there's definately something wrong w/ that relay then. and its always the relay that clicks.
ur gonna have to find it in ur dashboard or ur door panel.

show a pics of what ur the stuff under ur dash looks like, that will helf finding out.