Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch wiring help -96 A/T

Old 12-12-2007, 11:21 AM
m735is

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition switch wiring help -96 A/T

Anyone know what the wiring is at the plug on the fuse box for the ignition switch? I found 4 out of 5 using alarm diagrams.

I need to know what the white/black stripe wire is for.

I already have:
white=12V
yellow=accessory
black/white stripe=starter
black/yellow stripe=ignition

I'm trying to troubleshoot an occassional no crank from position three. And until I get the money for a new switch and tumbler, I want to know what I can do to jump the car if it finally doesn't start. Auto tranny.

Or.... with the key in position two, can I just jump 12V from the white wire over to the black/white wire to crank the motor?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:12 AM
DOZ5

How do you know it is the ignition switch causing your problem? On my 99 Accord, you can only cranck when trany is in N or P.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:40 AM
m735is

I don't know for sure, that's why I'm trying to troubleshoot it first. I cleaned up and checked all of the underhood wiring yesterday and it still was having problems. I can get it to crank with alittle wiggle of the key, so I'm fairly certain it's either the switch or the tumbler.

I have the same issue whether the selector lever is P or N.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:39 AM
DOZ5

This is schematics for my 99 accord v6 but the wire colors I think are the same. Notice 2 ignition wires.

Another thing you can do is spray contact cleaner on the switch. While the ignition harness is diconnected, spray and turn the key to crank and off, back and forth. With volt meter check that you have 12V while you crank. Make sure the 12 volt doesn't dissapear when you wiggle the key. If that doesn't work, you probably need to check the wiring that goes to the switch contacts. Maybe a solder joint or the key contacts itself.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
page 49.zip (36.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by DOZ5; 12-13-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Tedmond

honda 96 accord ignition pinout

Starter - black/white
Ignition 1- black/yellow
Ignition 2 - white/black
Accessory - Yellow
12volt Constant - White

if your car ignition turns on, but no crank, test ur starter wire (black/white). connect a voltmeter [digital] and test by connecting (-) to ground and positive (+) to start wire. when u hold the start, 12volts should be shown on your volt meter. if not, check your starter fuse in driver kick panel. If you wish to "hot wire your car" so u can use it temporarily, its actaully alot of work because u need to start, while cutting ignition then when u let go of start, the ignition comes back on to hold the car allowing it to run. if u want to use a switch to temporaily start ur car, PM me and ill whip up a diagram for ur car.