Notices

Wheel bearing?

Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Intrepid241

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing?

I was just driving back to MI from GA this past Monday and I heard a moderately loud "whirling" sound coming from my back right tire (I think). It definitely sounds rotational, as the frequency increases with speed. Could the bearing be bad? And if so, how much hassle would that be to swap out?

Any help wold be great.

Thanks

'00 4cyl 5spd Coupe w/ 65K miles
Old 07-26-2007, 06:56 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

You're correct in your bearing assessment. I believe the rear bearings are one unit, and not individual components pressed together.

You can swap it out yourself, but you'll need the right tools to remove the old part. Living in MI, it could be seized together from years of winter abuse.

best bet? Order the part from hondaautomotiveparts.com, take it to an independent, but trusted, shop for the work.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 PM
foot

If the right side bearing is bad then the noise should get louder when you turn LEFT. The noise should pretty much go away when you turn RIGHT. This is caused by the inertia of the car loading the bearing a certain way.
Typically, wheel bearing noises are most noticable at about 40-50 mph.

Just don't let someone sell you 4 struts, 4 brake calipers, 4 brake disc/pad sets and ONE wheel bearing...
Old 07-27-2007, 05:33 AM
Intrepid241

Thanks for your help. Not too worried about the winter abuse...it was a southern car until two years ago. Pretty sure that I can tackle it.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Styrofoam_Guy

Jack the car up so the wheel is off the ground. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try and shake it in and out. (top in and bottom out and vici versa) If it is loose it is the wheel bearing. If you can not budge it in or out then the bearing should be fine.