Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

am i messing up my engine?

Old 03-29-2006, 03:01 PM
badazzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i messing up my engine?

lately i've been driving manually with the 1, 2, d3, d4 gears (automatic transmission)

when i downshifted i didn't press the release button on the gear selector because it just moves so i didn't think i had to. but then then check engine light came up after a few minutes of driving like that and then i saw in the manual you're supposed to press the release button.

does this mess up the engine? what does it mess up? how much does it cost to fix?

Old 03-29-2006, 03:19 PM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

the check engine light aka CEL can come on for any problem...not just your transmission.

check the specific CEL
Old 03-29-2006, 03:35 PM
badazzle

i'm almost sure it's cause of my driving, my mom just took it to her friend who works at the dealer and he did whatever and got the check engine light off and it wasn't until i drove again that it came back up.

but she also said that he told her that the check engine light will come back up soon....because theres more repairs needed

either he's ripping us off or this is all just one big coincidence...

Last edited by badazzle; 03-29-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont have to press the button when shifting manually when the shifter can slide into the gear without it.

i guess its just a coincidence... but you can check the cel and find out.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:24 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by badazzle
i'm almost sure it's cause of my driving, my mom just took it to her friend who works at the dealer and he did whatever and got the check engine light off and it wasn't until i drove again that it came back up.

but she also said that he told her that the check engine light will come back up soon....because theres more repairs needed

either he's ripping us off or this is all just one big coincidence...
Uh why don't you just take it to autozone and have them read the code for free?

Shifting "manually" in an automatic will shorten the lifespan of the tranny, but you probably didn't mess anything up. Either way, stop doing it.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:39 PM
badazzle

o i didn't know autozone gave free readings, i think i'll have to stop by there then.

o i didn't know it shortens lifespan, i thought it gave better mpg and was faster (since standards get better mpg)

i guess i'll stop :[
Old 03-29-2006, 04:43 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by badazzle
o i didn't know autozone gave free readings, i think i'll have to stop by there then.

o i didn't know it shortens lifespan, i thought it gave better mpg and was faster (since standards get better mpg)

i guess i'll stop :[
No. Manuals get better MPG because they have more gears and a higher final drive. It's very easy to pick where an automatic shifts using the throttle but you still only have 4 gears to work with. And it takes about 4 times longer to shift if you push an automatic lever through the gates. Leave it in D4 my friend, until you get a stick
Old 03-29-2006, 04:53 PM
vtecb20coupe
eh2

no,i do it all the time. got tons of miles on my motor. check the codes.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:12 PM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

ive had my car for all 118k and i have always been playing through the gears upshifting and downshifting. one tranny was replaced at 45k and thats it the 2nd one is lasting. the first one was replaced b/c it had a delay shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

u can shift from d4 to d3 without pushing the button but from d3 to 2 you need 2 push it b/c it is locked same with 2 to 1.

how old is the car? routeine maintanence done? how many miles?
it might have misfired or it might have nothing to do with the engine. get the codes checked and get back 2 us
Old 03-29-2006, 05:28 PM
mikesta21
93preludesi

either way, i cant stand it when ppl shift like that. reminds me of a kid with a camaro that wishes it was standard and attempts to "show off" his driving skill