Sponsored by:

05 Accord Coupe 6-sp clutch problems

Old 10-03-2005, 10:17 AM
dimaj
2005 Coupe Ex 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Accord Coupe 6-sp clutch problems

Hello All!

About 4 months ago, I bought a 2005 Accord Coupe 6-Speed. At 11,000 miles, I was driving home and tried to downshift, but my clutch pedal remained on the floor (it never popped out). So, I towed my car to the dealer and they had to replace master clutch cyllinder and slave cyllinder (whatever those are). After a week of working on my car, they called me and told me that I BURNED my clutch. So, they had to replace my clutch (unfortunately at my expense) and I feel like I was fooled by the dealer.
I've been driving stick shift for about 3 years and I never changed my driving habbit. This is the first time I have a clutch go out on me.
I have couple of questions on this subject...
1) Did something like this happen to anybody?
2) What is the purpose of the Master clutch cyllinder and slave cyllinder?
3) How does Master clutch cyllinder and slave cyllinder relate to the clutch (flywheel and clutch plates)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

dimaj
Old 10-03-2005, 12:22 PM
Accord2005NJ

Originally Posted by dimaj
Hello All!

About 4 months ago, I bought a 2005 Accord Coupe 6-Speed. At 11,000 miles, I was driving home and tried to downshift, but my clutch pedal remained on the floor (it never popped out). So, I towed my car to the dealer and they had to replace master clutch cyllinder and slave cyllinder (whatever those are). After a week of working on my car, they called me and told me that I BURNED my clutch. So, they had to replace my clutch (unfortunately at my expense) and I feel like I was fooled by the dealer.
I've been driving stick shift for about 3 years and I never changed my driving habbit. This is the first time I have a clutch go out on me.
I have couple of questions on this subject...
1) Did something like this happen to anybody?
2) What is the purpose of the Master clutch cyllinder and slave cyllinder?
3) How does Master clutch cyllinder and slave cyllinder relate to the clutch (flywheel and clutch plates)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

dimaj

Contact regional Honda Rep and unless they have a pic of you burning tires they gotta pay for it.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:30 PM
dimaj
2005 Coupe Ex 6MT

Hello Accord2005NJ!

Thank you for the fast reply!

Do you think that I have a case against them?

Regards,

dimaj
Old 10-03-2005, 07:49 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to HAN

I can't believe you let the dealer dick you around like that to begin with. Clutches, like oil changes, aren't part of the warranty but if you weren't ragging on it and doing burnouts then there's no way you should have had to pay for it. Call the service manager tomorrow, explain your case, and tell him you'll contact the regional service rep if there are any problems. Honda takes care of its customers...there are countless threads about that. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:56 PM
dimaj
2005 Coupe Ex 6MT

Default car return

Thank you for the reply
No, I was not doing any burnouts... well... maybe occasional squicks while starting or while shifting from first to second, but that should not wear the clutch out that fast!
Somebody recommended me to return the car based on the Lemon law. Do you think that I could get my full refund for the car based on Lemon Law with the help of lawyer? After all they did replace 1) Master clutch cylinder 2) slave cylinder 3) flywheel 4) clutch disks 5) some sort of bearings.
A friend of mine told me that if your clutch cylinders go out, your clutch WILL burn!!!

Thanks.

Regards,

dimaj
Old 10-03-2005, 09:04 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the reply
No, I was not doing any burnouts... well... maybe occasional squicks while starting or while shifting from first to second, but that should not wear the clutch out that fast!
Somebody recommended me to return the car based on the Lemon law. Do you think that I could get my full refund for the car based on Lemon Law with the help of lawyer? After all they did replace 1) Master clutch cylinder 2) slave cylinder 3) flywheel 4) clutch disks 5) some sort of bearings.
A friend of mine told me that if your clutch cylinders go out, your clutch WILL burn!!!

Thanks.

Regards,

dimaj
...or you can try the easy way like I said before spending money on a lawyer and losing a court battle. Clutches are typically not covered under warranty. But whatever floats your boat :dunno:
Old 10-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Accord2005NJ

Thank you for the reply

Thanks.

Regards,

dimaj

I agree with V6 - just talk to Honda Regional Sales Rep. Qualifying for lemon law (while it varies from state to state) is not that simple. In most states, to qualify car must have an issue that affects its drivebility/safety/etc (not just a dim interior light for example) that dealer tried to fix several times (i.e. 3) but the problem persists.

So, before spending $$$ on lawyers (and I work with them so trust me - they can be expensive) just talk to Honda and tell them that you feel very disappointed that they asked you to pay for a repair on a new car that should not be needed. Tell them it is bad and even unfair business practice and that you as a consumer feel that you were taken advantage of and MAY seek protection under the laws available to you. Tell all this to Honda Regional Rep and tell him that you were told that Honda is a reputable company that takes care of its customers and that before you decide to seek legal remedies and possibly sue you you would like to turn all this mess into an experience with a pleasant conclusion by allowing Honda Regional Rep to rectify the "honest mistake" that deale made.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:47 AM
JL95AccorD

damn, lotta big words there. lol
Old 10-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Accord2005NJ

Originally Posted by JL95AccorD
damn, lotta big words there. lol
Old 10-04-2005, 09:33 AM
dimaj
2005 Coupe Ex 6MT

Originally Posted by Accord2005NJ
I agree with V6 - just talk to Honda Regional Sales Rep. Qualifying for lemon law (while it varies from state to state) is not that simple. In most states, to qualify car must have an issue that affects its drivebility/safety/etc (not just a dim interior light for example) that dealer tried to fix several times (i.e. 3) but the problem persists.

So, before spending $$$ on lawyers (and I work with them so trust me - they can be expensive) just talk to Honda and tell them that you feel very disappointed that they asked you to pay for a repair on a new car that should not be needed. Tell them it is bad and even unfair business practice and that you as a consumer feel that you were taken advantage of and MAY seek protection under the laws available to you. Tell all this to Honda Regional Rep and tell him that you were told that Honda is a reputable company that takes care of its customers and that before you decide to seek legal remedies and possibly sue you you would like to turn all this mess into an experience with a pleasant conclusion by allowing Honda Regional Rep to rectify the "honest mistake" that deale made.
Ok....
Do you guys know how can I get a hold of the Regional Rep? If I will call corporate and ask them to transfer me and / or ask for the regional rep's phone number, will that do it?
Also, I am planning on writing a letter to the President of American Honda. I've been trying to find out his/her name and work address but couldn't find it. Does anybody know where to look for it?

Regarding that clutch is not covered by the warranty... I do agree. It is a wear and tear part, but it supposed to last a certain amount of time. Like I said earlier, I've been driving stick shift for about 3 years and I never changed my driving habbit. This is the first time I am having this problem. The funny thing is, when I was reading over the documents today (invoice from the dealer) I found this: "... Also flywheel and pressure plate has been overheated. Recommend replace clutch assembly and flywhel and recheck. Replaced clutch master cyl., bleed hydraulics test drive found intermittent clutch chatters and hard shift/noise on shift appears internal problem, defective clutch rec remove trans. and inspect."
They actually said that clutch was defective! Do you guys think that this could be a valid argument why they should pay for the repairs?\

Thanks again!

Regards,

dimaj