Notices
Accord
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard/long Shifting, Tansmission or Timing Belt?

Old 09-26-2005, 10:55 AM
RBailie81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard/long Shifting, Tansmission or Timing Belt?

Ok, I need a little help. My 01 accord seems to be acting funny. When ever I accelerate my car shifts a liitle hard. Sometimes it will punch in hard, like I floored it or sometimes seems as if it redlines long then shifts. It only realy does this around 1st and 2nd. When the hard shit thing happens it's not like a bang, my car just takes off real quick. I had my transmission flushed a few months ago and it helped a bit, my car has about 150k, and this was the first time I flushed it. The guy told me that I might have to do it again cause of the build up possibility. I also have not changed my timing belt yet, could that be the prob? Or maybe a tune up?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:05 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

you've never changed your timing belt?

Umm .. that's supposed to be done @ 90K with a water pump. If that snaps, you're screwed. The timing belt will give you a horrible idle, but so will old sparkplugs. Did you get that done? You need new plugs and wires around 100K.

You're never supposed to flush your transmission fluid, only drain 3qts, fill 3 qts. When flushing, all the garbage that floats to the bottom of the tranny pan gets washed back into the gears. Not good.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:20 AM
RBailie81

No I have not changed my timing belt yet. I know I need to get it done. I havent changed spark plugs either. With the fluid, I meant drain. I went to a transmission shop so I'm sure they did it right. I don't have a bad idle though, so would my problem be tranny or timing belt?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:07 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy shit dude, maintain your car instead of spending money on rims and an intake! The t belt should have been done 50k miles ago, if that snaps the tranny is the least of your worries.

The tranny shop probably finished off what is already a fragile tranny by flushing and not using Genuine Honda ATF. Tranny shops, all all 'mechanics' in general, know nothing of the specific maintenance that Hondas require like the dealers or, hell, we do on this board. I'd start searching on ebay now for a slightly used or new tranny for your car and put it in when it starts slipping so bad it's undriveable.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
shonnv
7th Gen Coupe V6

:doh:
Old 09-26-2005, 12:49 PM
VPUPPY

werd. you are not supposed to power flush honda transmissions. your shifting problem is your transmission. replace your tblelt ASAP with only HONDA parts. i suggest you should get your shift control soleniods bench tested as a last resort to fix this.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:58 PM
RBailie81

Ok, I'll have to change the T-belt this week or so, gotta come up with $$$ for that though. Again, they just drained how much ever they needed for the Trans fluid. The shifting isn't bad at all, but it is noticable at times. So do you think that its salvigable? After changing the T-belt will that help at all?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:11 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by RBailie81
Ok, I'll have to change the T-belt this week or so, gotta come up with $$$ for that though. Again, they just drained how much ever they needed for the Trans fluid. The shifting isn't bad at all, but it is noticable at times. So do you think that its salvigable? After changing the T-belt will that help at all?
The timing belt has nothing to do with how the tranny shifts. You should be happy to get 150k out of that tranny, I was. 170 or 180k might be a new world record for a J30A1 automatic :happysad:

Drain the fluid in there, yourself, and replace it with genuine Honda ATF, yourself. I just posted instructions like 2 days ago, save yourself some money and make sure it's done right