Notices

1990 accord engine light/idle/speedometer probs

Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

List is $154, call Manchester Honda (google it) in Conn., they sell parts at or close to dealer cost. Or maybe you could try ebay and get one used, but that might not be a good idea since it's such a failure prone item.

Do it yourself, you'll learn something. Or you can drive up here and I'll do it for $5

e3, FAQ this ish and reference it to some other VSS threads
Old 09-22-2005, 12:41 PM
meredithf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
List is $154, call Manchester Honda (google it) in Conn., they sell parts at or close to dealer cost. Or maybe you could try ebay and get one used, but that might not be a good idea since it's such a failure prone item.

Do it yourself, you'll learn something. Or you can drive up here and I'll do it for $5

e3, FAQ this ish and reference it to some other VSS threads
if you were a little closer i'd certainly take you up on that offer

$154 isnt so bad
Old 09-22-2005, 12:57 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by meredithf
if you were a little closer i'd certainly take you up on that offer

$154 isnt so bad
Where do you live? $154 might not be bad if you're used to paying mechanics $200 to do stuff you could do yourself for $20 I'm in college so anything costing more than 5 quarts of synthetic oil and an oil filter is pricey and makes me wince h:
Old 09-22-2005, 01:03 PM
meredithf

haha, well $154 IS bad since i have close to $0 right now, but $154 for the part wouldnt be so bad if i can install it myself, or free help from someone.

i live in NC
Old 09-23-2005, 05:16 AM
meredithf

not trying to beat this thread to death, but i just noticed a couple more details today...

made all the way home last night and out to run some errands with no probs. halfway to work today speedo dropped to zero again. it went back up to normal once or twice over the next couple of miles. NO idling probs during this time. THEN the check engine light came on and THATs when the low idling kicked in.

so its 1) speedo dies, 2) check engine light comes on, 3) low idling starts

im not sure whats going on in the computer/ecu that effects the idling once it generates the VSS error... seems a little odd to me, but then again, i know nothing about this, lol

thanks again
Old 09-23-2005, 08:52 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Sure mer, let us know if the VSS fixes the problem. Hopefully it's causing the idle to act up funny. If not, there are tons of other tricks we can do to solve that one.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:08 PM
meredithf

i'll be sure to let you guys know what happens!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:21 PM
TexasHonda

Check ebay for lot's of afermarket VSS units at reaonable prices. Engine is likely dropping into "limp home" mode when VSS fault persists. Not sure why. I had this problem on a 90 EX auto and never had any idle problems and let it go for quite a while before installing a used part, which is still working 5 yrs later.

good luck
Old 09-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Jonny Thrice

my g/f just bought a used '90 Accord Coupe (automatic), with a non-fuctioning speedomter/odo (everything else works fine). Judging from what I found online, it seems to be the VSS.

We went and purchased a brand new VSS from the dealer, and I plan to install it tonite, but I CANNOT for the life of me find the damn thing on the tranny!

I know that its on the rear side of the engine, underneath the rear radaitor hose/thermostat (right)...I just went to take a hard look, and I think I see it, but I have NO IDEA how the hell I would manage to take the thing off! How can you get a ratchet or anything in there? There doesnt seem to be any room whatsoever...

Is there something I need to take off before getting in there? I really dont wanna pay $60 for a mechanic to do it since its only 2 screws and a plug.

HELP!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:18 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Jonny Thrice
my g/f just bought a used '90 Accord Coupe (automatic), with a non-fuctioning speedomter/odo (everything else works fine). Judging from what I found online, it seems to be the VSS.

We went and purchased a brand new VSS from the dealer, and I plan to install it tonite, but I CANNOT for the life of me find the damn thing on the tranny!

I know that its on the rear side of the engine, underneath the rear radaitor hose/thermostat (right)...I just went to take a hard look, and I think I see it, but I have NO IDEA how the hell I would manage to take the thing off! How can you get a ratchet or anything in there? There doesnt seem to be any room whatsoever...

Is there something I need to take off before getting in there? I really dont wanna pay $60 for a mechanic to do it since its only 2 screws and a plug.

HELP!
Wow, so it is true what they say about you Canadians. Interesting

They sell tools at places like hardware stores and autoparts stores that would allow you to get to bolts like that.