Notices

Rear Brakes

Old 07-27-2005, 04:25 PM
AccordVT
Ian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brakes

My Dad the horrible mistake of takeing his 94 Accord to Sears to get the Rear Brakes done. They replaced the rear pads, rotors, and calipers. The first day we got it back the pedal kept going soft and hitting floor, I checked the fluid level and it was low, I filled it up, pumped the brakes and it was fine for awhile untill one day I lost all brake. I looked under the car and noticed fluid all over the frikkin place. I took it back and they had put an extra waser/gasket between the brake line and the caliper, so the fixed it, next day the brakes still seamed soft and I was pissed and I took it back again and they said they couldn't do anything. Since then the brakes just kind of go in and out of softness and the back passengers side rotor is wearing weird, the pad only seems to be touching on like 2 cm or less of rotor, so anyone who has any comments or suggestions on how to get my brakes working right or on how to just get my pads to wear right, please, just drop a line, anything is helpfull THANKS Ian
Old 07-27-2005, 06:21 PM
03cbr600f4iguy

well if they replaced the pads rotors and calipers, then they messed up putting something on. was it doing this before you took it to have the work done?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:55 PM
AccordVT
Ian

Well yes it was wearing uneven before I brought it in. Also I forgot to mention in original thread, The first time I brought the car BACK after the repair was actually becasue of a horrible screaming and squealing. Then I brought it back for the softness and then for the leaking
Old 07-27-2005, 07:43 PM
strykernyc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it to a honda dealer they will do it right. if u keep going back to sears they will just make it worst.

I did my rear brakes, change rotors change pads and clean the calipers well. it was the first time I work on my brakes and everything cameout perfect and i just dont see why this crappy mechanics cant do a job righ the first time.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:47 PM
foot

Please god tell me you will never take ANYTHING to sears, jiffylube, midas or walmart to get a repair done. Their motto is, "Let us screw up your car and kill innocent people". First of all, the soft pedal is probably a result of air in the lines. They COULD have fixed that if they knew jack. The extra washer bit... a lie. The dumbass probably left the line loose.

My advice. Stop right now, find a competent mechanic and pay whatever they ask. If you can't do it yourself, its worth whatever they charge to do it right. I mean, this is the safety of you, your family and everyone else around you while you're driving.

DOWN WITH SEARS!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:52 PM
AccordVT
Ian

Default Yeah FOOT!

I agree, I am 15 but I can do it myself but my Dad took it to Sears without me knowing, I Knew as soon as he started to tell me he took it to sears It was Bad. I took it back to them hoping they would get it right and I wouldn't have to pay a cent. What should I do exactly, as far as getting air out of the lines? And I still don't know how to get that damn pad to touch
Old 07-27-2005, 07:53 PM
AccordVT
Ian

Damn Sears!!
But I do have a 1976 Sears/Roper Lawn Tractor that kicks ass
Old 07-27-2005, 07:55 PM
AccordVT
Ian

I just did the brakes on my mom's 01 Toyota Tacoma and that turned out perfect, no going back to the store
Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 PM
foot

lol. Props on the mower, just dont let them work on it! Get a buddy, push on the brake pedal, have the other person open the bleeder screw. ONLY PUSH THE PEDAL DOWN HALFWAY. Pushing the pedal down all the way can damage the seals in an old master cylinder. WHen the pedal is halfway down, have the buddy close the screw. Then release the pedal, repeat this process until the pedal feels nice and hard with the engine off. Make sure to monitor the brake fluid level while doing this so tha tyou dont let the resevoir go dry.

As for the pad only touching 2cm of rotor, what exactly do you mean? I don't know how to picture that.

a problem with the pads or caliper can cause a soft pedal, depending on the situation.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:09 PM
AccordVT
Ian

Like if you look at the rotor, (On the "braking surface" where the pad touches the rotor, there is a mark all the way around ( showing where the pad touches approx. 2 cm in thickness ) there is also a mark where you can see that the pad is not touching