Notices

Noise when turing - save me from going to the dealer please!

Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
rugsr
How do my taillights look

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when turing - save me from going to the dealer please!

Hey guys,
Its my 1994 civic Ex. Been going strong but ive noticed some noise in the front when turning. If the wheel is fully turned to the right and I give it gas a noise comes from the front drivers wheel. It sounds like a tin can with marbles. Once I straight the wheel out it goes away. For a while it was just when I made rights, now I think its doing it when I make lefts.

The dealer wants $160 to look at it. Anyone wanna save me some money and tell me where to begin looking or what they thin kit might be?

Thnks all
Old 08-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Yam Fam

Default I have the same problem also...

Looks like you and I both have the same issue. I get this noise also in the same fashion you speak of. When I make a right turn....marbles in a can!! Turn straight...nothing!!! Now I've had my front end work down. My buddy thats a cert. mechanic replaced my drivers side drive shaft and ball joint, which was all busted. The right front passenger side of the car didn't require any repairs. However, I still notice the noise, only this time I know it has to be in the rear of the car. Actually, it sounds as if its on the rear right passenger side. I have Omni Power coil overs all around and everything looked fine when it was jacked up.

I say start in the back on that rear right passenger side. I'm going to do the same soon but just got my baby back out of the paint shop. My $2000 paint job and body work has it looking like a new car. It's not going to get any road time until everything is complete. Didn't have the repair shop look at the back because I wanna give that money to my bud. He'll do the fixing but hasn't had time.

Also, $160 is a bit much just to look at. Ask around and you might get someone that will "just take a look" at a much cheaper price.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM
fathergoat
:3

jack up the front end. jiggle everything on both sides. it sounds like you have a bad CV joint or wheel bearing, but also look at ball joints, tie rod ends, and sway bar links. some times they can sound similar if you aren't familiar with them. some places, like Midas, will give you a free estimate. once you find what's wrong, DIY

Last edited by fathergoat; 08-25-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Civic2Scooby

also double check the clearance between the rotor and the brake dust shield. I know it sounds funky but sometimes at full lock turn the rotor will brush the dust shield but will not when the wheels are straight. I would also do a full front end check over for wheel bearings. It doesn't sound like a CV to me really. It would be more of a clicking noise if that was shot.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

some people just can't describe the noise very well.

Your CV is bad. Take a look up under there, 10-1 the boot is ripped & there is no more greese in it.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Running925
some people just can't describe the noise very well.

Your CV is bad. Take a look up under there, 10-1 the boot is ripped & there is no more greese in it.
true, you would think I would know this by now. You should hear some of the descriptions at work h:
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 PM
tigerafro
95 Civic EX

yeah thats what happened to mine. i drove with mine like that for almost 6 months.

i got mine fixed for $120
Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 AM
EJason

Its the CV joint, when the boot rips dirt gets into the cage and makes a "clicking" type of sound.

Take out your axle, go to autozone and swap it for a new one. They give you like $50 for your old one, so the new one is only around $60, or if you don't have any neumatic tools, ask for your old one back if you have a shop do it.

Last edited by EJason; 08-28-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:14 AM
rugsr
How do my taillights look

Well, I took a look under there and nothing is hitting or rubbing. But I did find a tear in the rubber boot of the lower ball joint on the drivers side.
This looks like a simple job but a few people at work said it might not be. Getting the ball joint out by prying stuff apart and maybe press fitting it in.

The dealer said $140. Im thinking of just letting him do it.
I hope that will fix the issue
Old 08-30-2008, 06:13 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Do you have aftermarket wheels and tires? If so what size and offset of the wheels and what size tires?