Notices

Motor Mounts

Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Mounts

I need new motor mounts. After doing my clutch, I became aware that the rubber in all the mounts is all cracked and dry rotted, thus making my whole engine knock and move alot.

I think I seen a DIY here where someone rebuilt thier's with some rubber material that they poured into the mounts, and made them one piece.

The motor is a D16Y8 (for now until I finish my K20a) with a 5 speed tranny.

Where to get some quality motor mounts?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
thetunersource

energy suspension... not the hardest thing to do but not the easiest either... also with the energy suspension mounts, it may be noisier because they are stiffer. made from poly urethane...
Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I installed Energy Suspension motor mount bushings in my 00 Civic Si and didn't notice alot of noise going into the cabin.

Installed Prothane motor mount bushings in my 93 Civic Si and the shaking and noise is REAL bad.

so each company that makes them is a little different hardness material.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Not too worried about noise, just that damn knock, which makes the engine hop and shake like all hell. The car came from a family member, and they blew it up. Sent it to a Honda dealership, and it came back pretty much just thrown together. The rear torsion mount that bolts to to back of the block was not even bolted in, and the mount by the timing cover/belts only has ONE bolt holding the mount up.

I seen on eBay mounts, but it was the mounts and the rubber, and they were like $300. I can't drop that cash, especially when I'm trying to build my K20 (bought just the short block (block, crank, pistons and rods, all the rest was stripped.) Got it for a rediculous deal, from an RSX that was totaled out.

Back on topic with the mounts, mainly just looking for the rubber itself. Also, I know how to do the mounts, but when I check out the inserts online, do they go inside the stock rubber in the mount, or comepletely replace it?

(Sorry for the long post, I type very fast, and it's easy for me to write a mini-essay.)
Old 07-29-2008, 03:43 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

You can use 3M window sealant. Some of my friends used it by removing all their motor mounts, covering one side of the motor mount with aluminum foil, filling the empty voids with the window sealant, and then letting it dry for about 24 hours. The hardness of thw sealant is about the same as some polyurethane bushing inserts.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Cool, thanks. I will look into that. Where can I get that?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:07 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home depot should have it. It'll cost like $5-10, and is a pretty good trick for saving some money. Like Mike said, just cover up one side of the mount (I've heard cardboard works, but I guess foil would be fine too), squirt the sealant into all the voids of the mount and smooth over the open side of the mount with your finger so it doesn't look like glop. If your mounts aren't totally shot, you should be able to do it with them still on the car. Otherwise, just remove one mount at a time and spread them out over the course of a week.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Cool, thanks for the info. A couple mounts are shot, though. But I'll look over at them all, and just go from there.