Notices

Thinking about getting MSD, any suggestions?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Zabouskie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting MSD, any suggestions?

Is it worth it? it is for my 2000 civic, D16y7 engine and I think my ignition coil is still the orignal and its got 147k miles now, something tells me its a bit too old now and time for it to go just incase its about to kaboom, however if I'm gonna replace the ignition coil, I might as well go MSD should I? The idea of the multistrike has got me considering it. So right now i'm looking at the MSD cap, rotor, and blaster coil for now, but should I also replace my stock plug wires too to accomidate the extra voltage? And I'm considering adding the actual multistrike module in the near future if I do get the basic starter kit. Is it the 6A module that I need?

Gimme some ideas guys, it would be greatly appricated.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 AM
RunningOnMT
4Banger

You stock honda ignition is more than powerful enough to ignite any force induction or nitrous mixtures. Ignitions like msd are designed for very high octane, alcohol based fuels and other hard (lower combustion point) to ignite race fuels. Just replace your plugs, wires, distributor and rotor with oem. Put the money toward something that with make your car faster and handle better.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Zabouskie

Well performance is not something i'm really seeking at all, fact of the matter is, this car is pretty slow already, not really worth trying to make fast, the real purpos of considering MSD is to possibly improve the fuel mileage, after all, strong spark, and even multiple sparks reduces the leftover Hydrocarbons left after combustion, thus resulting in a a very slight power and fuel mileage increase, however i'm only talking about 2-4% at the very most, but seeing the possiblity of $5 gallon gas in the near future, it kinda has me wondering if I can squeeze the mpg just a bit higher. Plus I just like trying out new shit for fun, thats all.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

You won't get better gas mileage and if you did, it wouldn't be enough to offset the purchase of the MSD crap.

You drive a slow econobox Civic...if you are really that worried about gas prices, buy a huffy.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

MSD is good for taking a 60's muscle car with points and adding an electronic ignition.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Outxider
X-Motoring

:werd:

if you really want to maximize the fuel efficiency of your car, replace your cap, rotor, wires, plugs. clean out your air filter or swap to a k&n drop in, replace your fuel filter and run a bottle of lucas fuel injection cleaner thru the gas tank. make sure all wheels are properly balanced and have a 4 wheel alignment performed.

All of that right there will yeild you better milegage then adding a msd ignition setup in that stock d series motor of yours.

Originally Posted by Provocateur
You won't get better gas mileage and if you did, it wouldn't be enough to offset the purchase of the MSD crap.

You drive a slow econobox Civic...if you are really that worried about gas prices, buy a huffy.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Zabouskie

Originally Posted by Outxider
:werd:

if you really want to maximize the fuel efficiency of your car, replace your cap, rotor, wires, plugs. clean out your air filter or swap to a k&n drop in, replace your fuel filter and run a bottle of lucas fuel injection cleaner thru the gas tank. make sure all wheels are properly balanced and have a 4 wheel alignment performed.

All of that right there will yeild you better milegage then adding a msd ignition setup in that stock d series motor of yours.
lol, Already done all that, minus the wires. The current plugs, cap and rotor were replaced about 15k miles ago, fuel filter about 20k miles ago, wheels are balanced and alligned well, bug the plugs, cap, rotor do not need immediate replacement yet. And I have a short ram intake with a K&N cone filter. I'm just a maintnance freak over a car, I like keeping everything in tip top shape.

So what if I did just the basic MSD coil and cap retrofit? For what a OEM coil costs, MSD is not really any more than the OEM. and I could put my older coil somewhere incase its needed if the MSD farts or something. Is that something worth doing?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Zabouskie
So what if I did just the basic MSD coil and cap retrofit? For what a OEM coil costs, MSD is not really any more than the OEM. and I could put my older coil somewhere incase its needed if the MSD farts or something. Is that something worth doing?
Just keep the OEM stuff. It is proven to work very well. I have heard of many problems arising from switching out ignition components for MSD stuff. Switching back to OEM components remedied the problem.

How much is the MSD stuff you want to buy? :eh:
Old 11-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Zabouskie

only about $100 for the basic set, doesn't seem too bad, at least to me. That includes the coil and cap.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM
1 quick sol

Heat kills coils!!!! So having the coil mounted in the dizzy on the side of the head proves to kill coils, I think u upgrading to an external coil might be a little extreme for your application, but it turbo charged set ups it proves to be worth wild, Do what you wish, i have never seen a downside to large diameter wires than stock thou.