Notices

vtec question

Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noone's perfect, esp. when it's late.

To show you what I know, I wish mine switched the exhaust instead of the intake (changing plugs would suck ass though) and I don't even know if that make sense, or would work h:
Old 08-31-2007, 09:44 AM
ddd4114

Originally Posted by sherwood
You're on crack, I have never heard of a mechanical VTEC failure in my LIFE.

The reliability of the VTEC system is not the limiting factor for either.
I never said he's going to have a failure. In fact, I highly doubt that will ever happen.

non-vtec:
less moving parts
easier to tune

vtec:
eats oil (ok, a slight exaggeration...)

Plus, you can run a bigger cam in a non-vtec head

Overall, this is an irrelevant debate. This is like arguing which would make a stronger letter opener, stainless steel or an aluminum alloy. VTEC is a great technology. There's no debating that.

Also, what's wrong with 5th gen transmissions? Or are you just referring to autos?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by ddd4114
Plus, you can run a bigger cam in a non-vtec head
and have a shitty idle. run that same profile on a vtec cam and you can have a smaller primary.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snoopy
and have a shitty idle. run that same profile on a vtec cam and you can have a smaller primary.
Which, if you're still learning is the entire point of VTEC in the first place. To achieve a smooth torque band from idle to a high redline.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
ddd4114

<<< means I didn't mean for you to take the comment that seriously

I know the point of VTEC, and as I already stated:
Originally Posted by ddd4114
Overall, this is an irrelevant debate. [...] VTEC is a great technology. There's no debating that.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:37 PM
bighroder

is vtec the only dohc motor or is there other dohc motors or should i just get a sohc motor?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:46 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by bighroder
is vtec the only dohc motor or is there other dohc motors or should i just get a sohc motor?
There are variations on both, I'd highly suggest a VTEC DOHC enabled car featuring either a B16/B18c, H22 or K series engines

These engines are smooth, potent, and above all just fun. Their featured models also generally sport the highest technologies available from Honda at that given time, so they are really great cars.

The SOHC VTEC designs usually showcase an improved torque band over the same rev range, or better gas mileage in the same rev range as their non-VTEC counterparts.

BUT this all really depends on what you want in a car, if you give us a better description of what you're looking for we will probably be able to point you in the right direction, whether the car be a Honda or not.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

if you're still confused about what vtec is, here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question229.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k
Old 08-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Kabooki

I dont understand one thing. (Just thinking aloud here) How can a SOHC vtec only adjust the exhaust lobes? Intake and exhaust ride on both outer lobes, when vtec "kicks in" the solenoid opens alowing oil pressure to lock pins in the rocker arm thingies which locks the outter rockers riding on the outer lobes for each cylindar to the inner arms which ride the inner lobe which has a higher lift profile. This in my theory would mean that both intake and ehaust recieve the exact same added lift/duration. Even the diagram from howstuff works theoretically suports my theory. Is there any facts about how vtec can only engauge on the exhaust (i heard intake sometimes too) side.

I dunno, but im still thinking about this one...
Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Originally Posted by Kabooki
I dont understand one thing. (Just thinking aloud here) How can a SOHC vtec only adjust the exhaust lobes? Intake and exhaust ride on both outer lobes, when vtec "kicks in" the solenoid opens alowing oil pressure to lock pins in the rocker arm thingies which locks the outter rockers riding on the outer lobes for each cylindar to the inner arms which ride the inner lobe which has a higher lift profile. This in my theory would mean that both intake and ehaust recieve the exact same added lift/duration. Even the diagram from howstuff works theoretically suports my theory. Is there any facts about how vtec can only engauge on the exhaust (i heard intake sometimes too) side.

I dunno, but im still thinking about this one...
I was incorrect, It adjusts only the intake lobes.

The reason is because the spark plug holes rest between the exhaust valves, preventing an extra rocker arm from being added in that location.