Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   vtec question (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/276715-vtec-question.html)

bighroder 08-29-2007 06:56 PM

vtec question

ok i dont know much about hondas/acuras yet but i would like to know what is vtec? what years/models did it come in? i would like to get a prelude 3rd or 4rth gen did they make a prelude with vtec? i would like to add a turbo, low boost, what engine would be best(plan on putting in a bottom end) also what is the best 5 spd? i also would consider a accord or integra but i think i would have to say no to a civic. thanks for your time.
zeth

A-series 08-29-2007 09:13 PM

VTEC is just Honda's variable valve timing and lift system. It uses different cam lobes for more power at high rpms while using a lower lift/duration profile at low revs for better fuel economy/torque.

Try searching google or wikipedia, I'm sure you'll find a good number of write-ups.

The Prelude forum might give you better results but I know the 3rd gens didn't have VTEC, it was available over here on the 4th gen starting in '93 but only on the VTEC trim level.

bighroder 08-30-2007 06:09 AM

thanks so which is more reliable vtec or non vtec

ddd4114 08-30-2007 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by bighroder (Post 3613104)
thanks so which is more reliable vtec or non vtec

non-vtec

sherwood 08-30-2007 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by ddd4114 (Post 3613180)
non-vtec

You're on crack, I have never heard of a mechanical VTEC failure in my LIFE.

The reliability of the VTEC system is not the limiting factor for either.

Note that the tramissions mated to the automatic VTEC's in the 5th gen were quite problematic, that was a design flaw of the transmission though.

:edit:

VTEC models are available in nearly ever car model at some point in it's lifetime. The DOHC models are preferred as the SOHC models didn't have the space on the camshaft to allow full use of differing exhaust and intake lobes.

Wharbone 08-30-2007 01:20 PM

howstuffworks.com

Read up on VTEC and anything else you are curious about.

A-series 08-30-2007 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by sherwood (Post 3613182)
:edit:

VTEC models are available in nearly ever car model at some point in it's lifetime. The DOHC models are preferred as the SOHC models didn't have the space on the camshaft to allow full use of differing exhaust and intake lobes.

In other words SOHC is GHEY :D

I can say that, cause mine's SOHC... and not just b/c there's no vtec on the exhaust either :oh:

j/k ...sorta

sherwood 08-30-2007 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ra005e (Post 3613937)
In other words SOHC is GHEY :D

I can say that, cause mine's SOHC... and not just b/c there's no vtec on the exhaust either :oh:

j/k ...sorta

Most SOHC VTEC models vary ONLY the exhaust

A-series 08-30-2007 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by sherwood (Post 3614008)
Most SOHC VTEC models vary ONLY the exhaust

Not mine :shrug:

On most, or at least the first, SOHC Hondas that had VTEC they used it to provide good mileage w/ good top end so it was the intake that switches profile.

sherwood 08-30-2007 10:14 PM

:werd:
I so fucked that up, i need to go back to Engines 101