Notices

Smoke coming from back of engine.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming from back of engine.

Haven't had a chance to jack the car up and see.

Picked up a a 1993 Civic Si from a guy in Michigan. Has 200k on the odometer. Drove 2 hours from the guy's place to the 1st rest stop and had smoke billowing out of the engine bay.

Called the guy up and of course he said he didn't know anything about it. Said might have been from degreasing the engine and power washing it.

2nd rest stop (about 3 hours from my 1st stop) still smoke billowing out. Smoke is sweet smelling and white.

Get it home and it's not smoking as much. Still a lingering smell. I'm thinking it's coolant. Few drops on the garage tonight (3 days later).

You guys have any idea?
Old 07-02-2006, 09:42 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

burning coolant isnt a sweet smell IMO.

what color are the drops on the garage. if it is coolant, check the heater core lines behind the block. also check your coolant levels to see if they drop. best thing to do is a pressure test to see if there are any leaks in your cooling system.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Haven't had a chance to jack the car up and see.

Picked up a a 1993 Civic Si from a guy in Michigan. Has 200k on the odometer. Drove 2 hours from the guy's place to the 1st rest stop and had smoke billowing out of the engine bay.

Called the guy up and of course he said he didn't know anything about it. Said might have been from degreasing the engine and power washing it.

2nd rest stop (about 3 hours from my 1st stop) still smoke billowing out. Smoke is sweet smelling and white.

Get it home and it's not smoking as much. Still a lingering smell. I'm thinking it's coolant. Few drops on the garage tonight (3 days later).

You guys have any idea?
you came to MI and didnt call :wtc:

sounds like its time for a leakdown test.