Notices

reading boost

Old 07-26-2005, 09:37 AM
aham98

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reading boost

i have no boost controller but want to no how to adjust my wastegate. what do i have to do. I also may have connected the hoses wrong. please someone please tell me step by step for to get my car on the road today. thanks alot. how do i get my boost gauge to read the boost instead of vacuum.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:42 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your boost gauge reads vacuum, it will read boost. They are the same lines.

What wastegate do you have?

You will have to get or make a manual boost controller if you want to adjust boost without an electronic boost controller. That's the only way to adjust boost unless you have an external wastegate and put a stiffer spring in it.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:59 AM
aham98

Originally Posted by westcoaststyle
If your boost gauge reads vacuum, it will read boost. They are the same lines.

What wastegate do you have?

You will have to get or make a manual boost controller if you want to adjust boost without an electronic boost controller. That's the only way to adjust boost unless you have an external wastegate and put a stiffer spring in it.
yes i do have a external wastegate. It is a tial 35mm wastegate. If i need a stiffer spring where do i get one. i also need to no if im running the hoses right. The needle on my boost gauge only reads vac it doesnt go and the boost side.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:50 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Does the vacuum level fluctuate? Does it read at about -20 at idle and 0 when you're on it? If so, you're not building boost at all or your boost gauge is broken.

If you're not running a BC on the TiAL then you hook the vacuum line to the side of the WG and leave the top open.

If you can't even read what your boost level is now, why would you want to increase it? Sounds to me like you need to fix your boost problem, determine what boost level you are at and tune the car to accomodate it. Just randomly adding boost when there is this kind of questionmark present is very dangerous...
Old 07-26-2005, 04:02 PM
aham98

Does the vacuum level fluctuate? Does it read at about -20 at idle and 0 when you're on it? If so, you're not building boost at all or your boost gauge is broken.

If you're not running a BC on the TiAL then you hook the vacuum line to the side of the WG and leave the top open.

If you can't even read what your boost level is now, why would you want to increase it? Sounds to me like you need to fix your boost problem, determine what boost level you are at and tune the car to accomodate it. Just randomly adding boost when there is this kind of questionmark present is very dangerous...
ok i got it to work. now when it is idleing there is thin pale yellow liquid coming out of my exhaust and when i give it gas smoke develops. What do u think it is?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:40 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

What color smoke? What color is your coolant?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:33 PM
aham98

What color smoke? What color is your coolant?
the smoke is white and the coolant is like the color of the oil.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:55 PM
delsol161

eeek
Old 07-26-2005, 10:02 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Sounds like you have a blown headgasket to me. That could also very much be a part of your boost problem... :happysad:
Old 07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
aham98

Sounds like you have a blown headgasket to me. That could also very much be a part of your boost problem... :happysad:

but my car starts up fine and idle fine how do i really know its my head gasket.