Notices

Starter grind while trying to start car

Old 03-24-2005, 11:21 PM
CivicRacr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter grind while trying to start car

happened a few times already, sometimes when i start the car, the starter goes, engine turns for like a split second, then stops for a longer split second then it grinds and starts the engine, sounds like when you already have the car started but start it again and the starter just grinds on the flywheel.

could it be the starter going bad? weak battery? battery is about two years old, and i dont have a system, but i do have an viper alarm,

don't see any signs of the battery dying, yet...im changing the alternator this weekend, nothing wrong with it charging wise, just makes a whining noise like a bad bearing which annoys the heck outta me. anyway thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 01:00 AM
Temporary

Had this happen when i had a new starter put on my Accord. I took it back to the shop, and they had said that the flywheel was stripped. Said i could either pay to have it fixed, or just deal with it. I heard it's not that bad to have it done. I've just dealt with it. Only happens maybe once a day. lol i know that's probably bad, but i have been dealing with it for a year now and hasn't gotten any worse.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=59606
Old 03-25-2005, 06:56 AM
honura
Seni

Ehh you prob have a chipped tooth on the flywheel and the starter is skipping. change your flywheel. if you deal with it like this other guy you might end up stripping the starter teeth and you will not be able to start the car just my thought.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:43 AM
sibiryk

Originally Posted by CivicRacr
happened a few times already, sometimes when i start the car, the starter goes, engine turns for like a split second, then stops for a longer split second then it grinds and starts the engine, sounds like when you already have the car started but start it again and the starter just grinds on the flywheel.
it is exactly what I had a couple weeks ago. It was doing things as you say. A few days later starter was failing to turn engine over. Another few days later I could start my car only if I hit starter with a hammer real hard prior to turn an ignition key. With a hammer I bought only two days and on morning I had to call in sick to my job. It didn't start at all. I went on junk yard (2.5 hours trip) and replaced on my parking lot (20 min) and I got to work right after lunch. I think it was broken gears inside of starter.

So don't wait too long.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

You should pull the starter and have someone turn the motor (in neutral) by hand (with a 17mm socket on the crank pulley bolt) while you inspect the flywheel with a flashlight. Doing this involve removing the starter. It's not that bad, it's just in a tight spot.

Doing this will tell you if it's the flywheel or the starter. Sounds like the flywheel, though. Worth checking out because the starter is a hell of a lot cheaper to fix than the flywheel unless you're going to do the work yourself.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

it's definatly either the starter or the fly wheel. but regardless if you don't fix the problem, which ever one it is will effect the other one & they will both be ****ed in a matter of time. just fix it once & replace one part rather than spending twice as much money for waiting!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:15 PM
CivicRacr

ah great, hope its just the starter, i'll pull the starter and check that and flywheel this weekend, thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Temporary

I wasn't telling the guy to deal with it. I just told him what the mechanic told me, and since my car has 248,000 miles on it, i didn't feel like spending more money on something that wasn't that big of a problem.