Notices

12v Ignition action!

Old 03-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v Ignition action!

hey guys, just thinkin bout somethin, whats under the hood that turn on when the ignition switch is turned on.. i wanna hook my fans up to it!
Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Fans....? What fans? We dont have no stinkin fans man... J/K What kind of fan is it? I worked at FAL for a few years, and depending on what fans you are talkin about, some are not made to run for more than 1 hr before they overheat or burn up. Also if you have a constant fan (if its fairly large) it will draw alot of power from your electrical system, and can put strain on a stock system, (which is why race cars have HO alternators). So what are you trying to do?

P.S. A small fan or 2 small fans, on a tranny and oil cooler will be alright, but anything larger than that may cause power loss and problems.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

talkin bout the radiator fan.. i'm not worried bout my electrical system.. it's pretty beefed up!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Running925
talkin bout the radiator fan.. i'm not worried bout my electrical system.. it's pretty beefed up!
why would you want your radiator fans on all the time....

or is this for the top secret fans...:thinking
Old 03-16-2005, 10:30 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

in my camaro i have my dual fans hooked up the the radio fuse. So when the key is on, they are on, and if my radio don't work, i know my fans are not on.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Wire in a thermostatically controlled relay set to around 180*F. If you don't know why, you need to study up. I'll be happy to make a long-winded post about it if you like, but suffice it to say a constant running cooling fan is a really bad idea. I run a Permacool 16" electric fan along with the Permacool install kit set to ~180*F replacing the stock clutching fan in my RX-7, so I'm very fimiliar with the situation.
Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
in my camaro i have my dual fans hooked up the the radio fuse. So when the key is on, they are on, and if my radio don't work, i know my fans are not on.
Super redneck engineering. :doh:
Old 03-17-2005, 10:17 AM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

12volts with ignition on.... easy cheesy man. There is a group of yellow/black wires on the driver's side near the firewall. Splice into any one of them. But do so to a relay, no way are those going to drive a fan directly.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:07 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Hmm, ok, do what you will, but just remember, I have done this befor, and worked at a place that makes, and installs fans and coolers, and I know that this is not a good idea.... Like Kai said, get a low temp relay, so it turns on at a low temp instead of waiting untill it gets really warm. That will be your best bet.