Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   92+ Civic/EL & Del Sol (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol-6/)
-   -   12v Ignition action! (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/92-civic-el-and-del-sol/180795-12v-ignition-action.html)

Running925 03-16-2005 12:56 PM

12v Ignition action!

hey guys, just thinkin bout somethin, whats under the hood that turn on when the ignition switch is turned on.. i wanna hook my fans up to it!

racerdave 03-16-2005 05:21 PM

Fans....? What fans? We dont have no stinkin fans man... J/K What kind of fan is it? I worked at FAL for a few years, and depending on what fans you are talkin about, some are not made to run for more than 1 hr before they overheat or burn up. Also if you have a constant fan (if its fairly large) it will draw alot of power from your electrical system, and can put strain on a stock system, (which is why race cars have HO alternators). So what are you trying to do?

P.S. A small fan or 2 small fans, on a tranny and oil cooler will be alright, but anything larger than that may cause power loss and problems.

Running925 03-16-2005 07:48 PM

talkin bout the radiator fan.. i'm not worried bout my electrical system.. it's pretty beefed up! :)

Civic2Scooby 03-16-2005 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Running925
talkin bout the radiator fan.. i'm not worried bout my electrical system.. it's pretty beefed up! :)

why would you want your radiator fans on all the time....:confused:

or is this for the top secret fans...:thinking

dE.fUsEd 03-16-2005 10:30 PM

in my camaro i have my dual fans hooked up the the radio fuse. So when the key is on, they are on, and if my radio don't work, i know my fans are not on. :)

Kai 03-16-2005 10:43 PM

Wire in a thermostatically controlled relay set to around 180*F. If you don't know why, you need to study up. I'll be happy to make a long-winded post about it if you like, but suffice it to say a constant running cooling fan is a really bad idea. I run a Permacool 16" electric fan along with the Permacool install kit set to ~180*F replacing the stock clutching fan in my RX-7, so I'm very fimiliar with the situation.

Originally Posted by dE.fUsEd
in my camaro i have my dual fans hooked up the the radio fuse. So when the key is on, they are on, and if my radio don't work, i know my fans are not on. :)

Super redneck engineering. :doh:

Relic1 03-17-2005 10:17 AM

12volts with ignition on.... easy cheesy man. There is a group of yellow/black wires on the driver's side near the firewall. Splice into any one of them. But do so to a relay, no way are those going to drive a fan directly.

racerdave 03-17-2005 07:07 PM

Hmm, ok, do what you will, but just remember, I have done this befor, and worked at a place that makes, and installs fans and coolers, and I know that this is not a good idea.... Like Kai said, get a low temp relay, so it turns on at a low temp instead of waiting untill it gets really warm. That will be your best bet.