Notices

Just Wondering ???

Old 11-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmSiR95
What model comes with Mitsubishi 4g63?
Turbo DSM's (Plymouth Laser, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon) and 1G DSM 2.0 non-turbos. I'm sure Jafro knows of more.
And while on subject do you get the 1.6 dohc mivec engine by mitsubishi??
No idea.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Originally Posted by Kai
Turbo DSM's (Plymouth Laser, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon) and 1G DSM 2.0 non-turbos. I'm sure Jafro knows of more.
Some 1994-1996 Hyundai Elantras, many Galants (though the non-turbo Galants are SOHC... nothing a head swap won't fix)... 2nd gen Hyundai Tiburons, Lancer Evolutions of all years, old skewl Chrysler Lebarons, and the JDM FTO. That motor got around. It's 17 years old now. I believe a Mighty Max pickup might have also come with it. There's lots of cars that have 4g63's that weren't supposed to because the block casting (externally) is identical on all 4g series engines... the 4g15, 4g57, 4g61, 4g63, 4g64... all the same.

So you can bolt a turbo 4g63 in everything from a '88 Dodge Colt hatchback to a Expo LRV minivan. Not bad considering you can swing a complete low-mile turbo JDM drivetrain for about $900, and all the spares you ever wanted for next to nothing in a junkyard because tons of cars came with them. Something you can't really do with a Honda. Those are usually picked clean in minutes.

Put a Honda engine in your Honda, though. You'd need a lot of welding experience to make anything else work, and if you modify the chassis (unibody) or frame, the car is no longer street legal.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

PS: That MIVEC 1.6L has tons more potential than a B16a. The B16a will grenade long before that MIVEC reaches half of its potential.

Big head ports, huge forged rods, and cast iron blocks > tiny head ports, tiny forged rods, and aluminum blocks in any boosted scenario. MIVEC's staggered anti-lag system allows the valves to not only increase lift, but they allow each combustion chamber's bank of valves to increase lift independantly of the others. This gives the flow benefit at higher RPMs that vtec would, but eliminates the "kick" of it's engagement by gradually engaging. This is electronically controlled in real-time. Basically, anti-lag begins before vtec would on a Honda, giving you some of the benefits of "vtec", but sooner, and smoother. Gradually increasing the airflow through the head causes less turbulence when it's engaged, and fuel will be atomized better, but these are only side-efects. The real benefit is how much air this head can flow. Did I mention that it's got a hydraulic valvetrain that never needs adjusting? No? 4g63's have had that since '88.

But that MIVEC engine weighs a hell of a lot more than a B16a because of the beefy cast iron/foged bottom end, so there is a trade-off. You can build a B16a to keep up with the MIVEC, and still keep the weight down, but it will co$t you either way, whichever route you choose. MIVEC ain't cheap, either.

It's been available on British Evo's for several years. I'm dieing to see the front clip of one of them pop up on ebay for sale.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:18 PM
jdmSiR95
zzzzzzzzz....

Im impressed!!

however there are tons of mitsi colt/mirage/lancer/asti mivecs over here as there are b16a hondas> what you say may be true about the actual engines but the car as a whole doesnt compare to civics in my opinion.
i drive my hondas hard.... very hard ive had 7 civics and 2 previous and my present SiR were b16a civics.. not one gave me any trouble engine/clutch/gearbox wise..
However a friend had mitsi colt cyborg r 1.6 dohc mivec, and from drivin it hard he had loads of trouble with shit like that very early on. And ive heard of more of same..
They are lovely cars but i pref civic any day, they are well able for abuse in the red!!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

I'm just a boost junkie. No B16a will hold 20 PSI with stock internals, but that 4g61 will.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:40 AM
jdmSiR95
zzzzzzzzz....

Originally Posted by Jafro
I'm just a boost junkie. No B16a will hold 20 PSI with stock internals, but that 4g61 will.
yeah?
sounds good any pics? post couple here
Old 11-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

yeah?
sounds good any pics? post couple here
This thread is getting horribly off-topic, and 90% of it is my fault... but it's your thread, so okay...

Here's a 1.6L 4g61 turbo from a Mirage Hatchback. It makes about 167hp and = amount of torque:

Here's the 2.0L in my GSX. Used to only make 210hp/209 tq when it was stock.

That looks pretty much the same save for some polishing doesn't it? The heads are even the same if you compare the same-year cars. The only thing major that's different between them other than the bore and the stroke is the turbo they use. With parts from another car and the right tuning, you can make around 375-400hp on stock internals.

I'd love to see someone dump one into a civic. Believe me, I'm tempted.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:34 AM
jdmSiR95
zzzzzzzzz....

no man fuk it im dead interested in all this....

Does that turbo lump come on a colt(3dr hatch/mirage maybe)?

ive not seen one over here....

only mitsi turbos over here are lancer 1.8gsr 4x4 dohc turbos
and: lancer 2.0evolution 4x4 dohc turbos

also 2.5 vr4 galants twin turbos in these babys..... a fella i know drives one...

after your next post we get strictly back to vtecs
Old 11-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Yes. Dodge Colts and Mitsubishi Mirage's are the same car. The turbo cars are really rare here as well, I don't know if any of them made it to Ireland. If any of them did make it, they'd probably be '88-'91 production year cars. They're '90-'91's here in the states, but I believe there was a turbo '88 in rally-cross, so they had to be factory equipment somewhere.

I didn't realize you weren't from the US until just now, though. Those 2.5L galants are bad-ass. We can't get those here in the states. Ours are all 4g63 powered 2.0L 4-bangers, and only about 3000 of them ever made it here from Japan. Only about 1000 turbo M/C's made it here in '88 and '89. Very hard to get one these days. Most people are building them from 1.5L cars that know anything about them. The 2.0L Evo IV or earlier makes a good transplant donor for a Mirage, but you'll need to weld the center differential to convert the tranny to FWD.

Go to www.4g61t.com if you want to find out more. That's the Turbo M/C forum.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
lgbr
Wal-Mart Shopper

What about some of the C series stuff? Not the NSX of course, but the Legend.