Notices

taking off the stock intake tubing?!?!

Old 08-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Quikstep
OG Swollen Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That airbox is sitting right above your engine. Hot intake air = bad. Just leave it, or get an intake.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

WTH is that? Granted I'm not a 6G guy, but that intake is just weird. Like Quikstep is saying, that tube is getting cooler air from the front of the engine bay. opening it in the back will suck in hot air off the engine, greatly decreasing engine performance.
Originally Posted by Keebler
whatever you do, just don't run around Henrico, VA in a CRX with the muffler removed
You live near me. :eek3:
Old 08-06-2004, 01:02 PM
defiant

i think the intake is like that because its a d16y7...but dont quote me on this i could be wrong
Old 08-06-2004, 01:30 PM
relecom
Nissan 240

thats the same intake I got on my 97 4dr EX. I had a friend who took it off, and noticed somewhat gas millage reduction, don't know if he was right in assuming that it was the pipe gone, but it was the only difference at the time.

Mark
Old 08-06-2004, 03:01 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by Kai
WTH is that? Granted I'm not a 6G guy, but that intake is just weird. Like Quikstep is saying, that tube is getting cooler air from the front of the engine bay. opening it in the back will suck in hot air off the engine, greatly decreasing engine performance.
6G nonvtec engine has throttle body facing upwards at that point. Airbox rests on top, square filter set on an angle facing intake.

Would be a neat manifold to use for ram air or whatever, if the runners weren't super long and skinny as hell
Old 08-06-2004, 07:25 PM
nate886
Green: The genius color.

Definitely not the intake off the D16Y8. That's weird. Is there a filter in the lower box too? Like everyone else said you can take it off as long as your air is filtered, but you might be further ahead only removing the resonating tube from the box on the far left. (Someone correct me if that isn't where the tube is.)

Slightly off topic, but how is it that drag cars can get away without using air filters? Just because they aren't subjected to dusty roads and the rigors of daily driving?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by nate886
Slightly off topic, but how is it that drag cars can get away without using air filters? Just because they aren't subjected to dusty roads and the rigors of daily driving?
Exactly. They only go 1/4 mile at a time, so there is no chance to build up any long-term crud in the engine.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:25 AM
Ant_Knee_S2K

Thats the same as my hatchback. I thought about taking it off, but left it on to get the cooler air thats further from the engine. Before I got a real intake, I cut the front resonator box off the pipe you have circled and covered the hole with heat resistant tape, then put in a K&N replacement filter. This makes the pipe into a "straw" that sucks cooler air to the filter on top of throttle body. Its kind of like a cold air intake with the filter at the other end.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Ant_Knee_S2K: Just save your money and get a real intake. Don't bother with getting the sound because your filter life-span will be cut down drastically, and so will your performance.

Either way, those airbox designs are terrible. One of my roommates had that car, and a squirrel filled [the airbox] with nuts. Crawled right into it through the snorkel. No lie.

Originally Posted by Keebler
whatever you do, just don't run around Henrico, VA in a CRX with the muffler removed..... or integra for that matter.... :-(
What? I ran around in a 5g CX civic hatch with no muffler for 8 months. I live a few blocks from the Henrico County cop shop. Then after the DX swap, it was hella-loud for about 4 months before I had to get it re-inspected, and finally put a muffler on it. I literally had a straight exhaust for a while, and drove the car to and from work.

What happened to you?
Old 08-07-2004, 11:26 AM
mitsurugi

Originally Posted by Jafro
Either way, those airbox designs are terrible. One of my roommates had that car, and a squirrel filled [the airbox] with nuts. Crawled right into it through the snorkel. No lie.
:lmfao:
That is one of the funniest things I've heard
:lmfao: