Notices

Is it safe to remove my CAT?

Old 02-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you know that a single cow emits more ozone depleting gasses in one hour than a hundred cars do in a day? I'm not sure how cars without catalytic converters change that equation, but you don't see cops busting cows and charging them with EPA violations. If the EPA had their way, these things would be shoved up cows' asses, but then the animal activists would be all like... "Hey! You can't do that to cows."

The reality of it is... be prepared to face the consequences. The fines are more than stiff, and some state's penalties are horrible if you get caught. KNOW YOUR LAWS if you think that taking this risk is a good idea.

It IS worse for teh environment to remove it. Carbon monoxide can make you very sick. It's deadly to birds. In quantity, it will kill humans. Trees don't recycle carbon monoxide. Just think about what you're breathing when you're sitting at stop lights, traffic jams, drive-thru's, toll booths, car washes, etc... There's a lot less to risk by just leaving it on there, for you, your wallet, your health, the environment.

...still... 1 cow farts a lot more than your car emits in 3 months. Shut up and eat your burger.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:46 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:chuckles: true story

I once gave my ex-girlfriend carbon monoxide poisoning by driving her up to Breckenridge w/ no muffler :eek3:
Old 02-27-2004, 07:33 PM
ReVenGe

Originally Posted by Jafro
Did you know that a single cow emits more ozone depleting gasses in one hour than a hundred cars do in a day? I'm not sure how cars without catalytic converters change that equation, but you don't see cops busting cows and charging them with EPA violations. If the EPA had their way, these things would be shoved up cows' asses, but then the animal activists would be all like... "Hey! You can't do that to cows."

The reality of it is... be prepared to face the consequences. The fines are more than stiff, and some state's penalties are horrible if you get caught. KNOW YOUR LAWS if you think that taking this risk is a good idea.

It IS worse for teh environment to remove it. Carbon monoxide can make you very sick. It's deadly to birds. In quantity, it will kill humans. Trees don't recycle carbon monoxide. Just think about what you're breathing when you're sitting at stop lights, traffic jams, drive-thru's, toll booths, car washes, etc... There's a lot less to risk by just leaving it on there, for you, your wallet, your health, the environment.

...still... 1 cow farts a lot more than your car emits in 3 months. Shut up and eat your burger.

hehe....hehe...... i can just picture the latest craze.... some farmer souping up his cow with a borla muffler stickin out its ass... tee hee hee
Old 02-27-2004, 08:53 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by A_PHOBIA
there is ill effect...."you need a certine amount of backpressure"
Haha, nice try. The trick to a "perfect" exhaust system is to maximize exhaust velocity and minimize backpressure. A cat converter (I don't care how "high flow" it is) decreases exhaust velocity and increases backpressure, both cause a decrease in performance.

The same can be said about mufflers, but obviously you should leave a muffler on a street car.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:27 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

that and straight-through mufflers hardly impede the exhaust flow at all...
Old 02-28-2004, 05:00 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

They still cause a little bit of turbulence, but for that matter the best flowing straight-thoughs don't muffle a whole lot either.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:28 AM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by Kai
They still cause a little bit of turbulence, but for that matter the best flowing straight-thoughs don't muffle a whole lot either.
Magnaflow claims to flow better then straight pipe. I know this is a lie but still :P
Old 02-28-2004, 10:01 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

well, it depends on what kinda muffler... a perforated core straight through (like magnaflow, apexi, most good exhausts out there) hardly does anything to the flow. A louvered core straight through can actually impede flow more than a baffled muffler :ugh:
Old 02-28-2004, 05:56 PM
cashizslick

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Plus why would you want to pollute the air we breathe? I say if you remove your cat you should have to sit infront of your exhaust for 1 hour everyday.
Cats suck, remove the darn thing. Just get a straight pipe welded in.

Anybody who says having cats is a good idea obviously doesnt realize that all the developing nations have HUGE unregulated factories witch pollute extravagant ammounts of waste into our atmosphere.

Removing the cat on ur 4cyl honda wont do a damn thing to the environment. Especially when my buddy with a built 89 Cobra runs with no cats lol.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:57 PM
typex

i don't have a cat on my honda i have a b16a jdm with headers and apexn1 cat back and i was told that you will lose gas mileage (which i did) and can make the car idle a little different. i don't know how true it is but i talked to alot of guys and the answer was the same. We are just getting a visual emission test so i am forcded to get a high flow cat so i will post the results soon.....

Quick Reply: Is it safe to remove my CAT?