Notices

Is it safe to remove my CAT?

Old 02-22-2004, 11:42 PM
workman92
snow and ice driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it safe to remove my CAT?

I have a 92 civic Hb si and where I live we have no air care for at least 8 hours from where i live so its legal to remove my CAT, but i have heard bad stories about removing them like the engine running differnt and the valves burning out and rough idle after removing it and so on and so on. If I remove it will it harm anything , or should i just keep it on??

I have a Ractive Intake and OBX rEar MuFFler and the rest of the car is stock like new except for my CD player. Even has the stock rims and original hub caps and original paint.

Should I remove it??

any help is great

THANKS
Old 02-22-2004, 11:46 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

it is illegal and a big fine in some states of the U.S. check your local vehicle and emission laws before attempting.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:49 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Plus why would you want to pollute the air we breathe? I say if you remove your cat you should have to sit infront of your exhaust for 1 hour everyday.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:58 AM
fook
Boosted D Series

it would be fine but your car will sound like shit if you have upgraded exhaust (ie a catback)

i would recommend a high-flow cat.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I don't know Canadian emissions laws, so no comment there.

I hate them. My car has been cat-free for a while now.

There are absolutely no ill effects to taking it off. Remember, the cat is basically a fancy clog in the exhaust system, the engine will run better without it.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:48 PM
ZiviCase10287
RacinMasonC

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
Plus why would you want to pollute the air we breathe? I say if you remove your cat you should have to sit infront of your exhaust for 1 hour everyday.
haha, thats great . I wouldn't take off the cat.. you won't notice very much if your N/A with bolt-ons. just either get a high-flo or leave it stock. i tried the no-cat BS and it was too high pitch sound from the exhaust, so that was a no go.. also i have 2 friends with probes that did that.. ones a 4 cyl other is a 6cyl they both sound like indy cars. also unless you got real mods.. your really hurting your engine.. your polluting that exhaust into the outside world and YOU then suck that back up in your intake... keeps cycling.. you may not notice but thats whats really happening. DON'T do that stupid shit!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 08:31 PM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

Originally Posted by fook
it would be fine but your car will sound like shit if you have upgraded exhaust (ie a catback)

i would recommend a high-flow cat.

umm no,..im running no cat (test pipe) with my apexi WS catback and my exhaust sounds pretty damn good,..actually,..you hear my intake more than you hear my exhaust
Old 02-23-2004, 08:57 PM
fook
Boosted D Series

Originally Posted by WideBodyEK
umm no,..im running no cat (test pipe) with my apexi WS catback and my exhaust sounds pretty damn good,..actually,..you hear my intake more than you hear my exhaust

WS doesn't count =P

yeah it would sound ok with that, as it is a quieter exhaust, but with the N1 or something like that it would probably sound like garbage
Old 02-23-2004, 09:23 PM
dcb18integ

it sounds insanly loud with a test pipe with the n1 catback. it skares all the customers at my work when i drive off. it sounds like the ultamate rice burner...
Old 02-23-2004, 10:14 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wont hurt your car, but its bad for the air... why bother? The most power you'll make by running a test pipe is like 5hp tops (probably like 1-2 on a sohc). And considering the stankyness, why bother? I like clean air.

Quick Reply: Is it safe to remove my CAT?