View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 05:53 PM
97teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx-killer
You risk motor boating that amp and in turn it will clip and send dc current to your speakers. And speakers hate dc current.
I found this:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scrip...cGFnZT0x&p_li=

The "Dirty" Truth About Distortion
Contrary to popular belief, distortion does not cause speaker damage. Distortion is merely the audible detection of signal "clipping". Clipping is when an audio component can no longer provide enough power supply voltage to "cleanly" amplify the audio signal. Clipping can occur at any point in the signal chain (souce unit, signal processor, amplifier, etc.) The popular belief is that if an amplifier "clips" it will send D.C. current to the speaker's voice coil and "burn" it. THIS IS NOT TRUE. It would surprise you to realize nearly every car audio system's amplifier "clips" when listening to music at moderate -to- loud levels. Electrically overpowering a speaker is caused by continually playing the audio system loud, resulting in applying more power to the speaker than it's "rated" specifications. This is what causes speaker voice coils to "burn".

It seems to me if you can turn even dc current on and off fast enough the speaker should be able to handle it. Plus it would still switch between a + dc and a - dc which is pretty much what ac is. I have heard that distortion increases the overall amount of power delivered to to the speaker and this is actually what causes the voice coil to melt. What are you thoughts on this?

I also feel that a ho alternator is the only way to go. If you are at sustained high levels you will drain even the best of batteries because you have more going out then recharging. Adding batteries will only add time until the voltage drops and the amp can no longer sustain the level. It also depends on the actual current at the levels you listen to.