Notices

car is eating oil!

Old 10-06-2003, 06:16 AM
99GSRbeerman
There is a speed limit?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is eating oil!

i have a 99 gsr with about 65k miles on it. about 2k miles after every oil change its empty. my f-in bumper is turnin black as well. i have a cold air intake on my car and the rubber arm that connects the filter to the manifold has a bunch of oil build up in it. and the little hose that runs off of the filter also seems to have a little oil in it.......whats goin on!!!! is it the pcv? how do i find it and does anyone have a picture of where it sits?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Compression and leakdown test time! Do that and tell us the results!

Also.. do you have a eBay CAI or an actual name-brand CAI on there?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:29 AM
fzr400tony

Location: I'm in the witness protection program, there's been this weird e-body following me around

if you don't have a compression/leak down tester, pull your plugs and see if one or several of the plugs are oil soaked? 65k isn't a lot of miles for it to burn oil. mine has 145k and it burns a quart of mobil 1 between every oil change (which i change it every 6k).

however, it is remotely possible that you have a good leak at the pan and oil is burning off the pipe.

have you considered a jdm swap??? 65k b18c1 on ebay should go well. i'd just drop my ebay account the second it sold.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Tobra

I am at about 110K miles, and don't burn a drop of oil. Is it smoking in the morning when you fire it up?
Old 10-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Spec R

Sorry Tobra, I dont mean to diss you or anything, I just think its funny how whenever someone posts abut burning oil, someone always has to rub it in that their car doesnt burn oil at all....:fawk:

At least you addressed Beerman's problem by asking a question back, so you're .

Dont mind me though, I'm just remembering all the useless responses I would get when I used to post about burning oil....

Anyway....Beerman, I feel your pain, I noticed my car starting burning oil when it only had something like 70k too...I tried changing driving styles (not going past 3k), different oils, different filters....but no matter what it would still burn... but unlike you, my muffler never turned black....

Hmmm for now I say change your oil (I used Castrol non-syn) and oil filter (Honda OEM). Try 10w30 first and post how it goes. Check your oil after your car has been sitting on level ground for a long period of time (at least 3-4 hours).

I'm now running Castrol 10w40 non-syn and after 1100 miles, i've only burned .2 of a quart. I've found that keeping the oil level right at the top dot also reduces the consumption. I used to get all happy seeing that after 1000 miles, only half a quart burned. I'd assume "half a quart every 1000" and think "hey its 1 quart per 2000 miles, thats normal", but thats not the case, because as the oil level goes down, the more it would burn. I would check it at 1500 miles, only to find that the oil was at the bottom dot of the dipstick...
Old 10-07-2003, 05:28 AM
99GSRbeerman
There is a speed limit?

i dont believe the car smokes at all.....i run 10w30 in it as it sits now
Old 10-07-2003, 05:57 AM
Therin

should be running 5w30, but thats not the point.
If you dont wanna do a compression/leak test or you dont have the money to, then the simplest way to find out where your leaking from (although not the most acurate) is to clean your engine drive around a bit then check for oil spots, then you should be able to get a good idea where your leaking from.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:12 AM
99GSRbeerman
There is a speed limit?

my engine is just about spotless.....the only mess in there is a little antifreeze and there isnt even alot of that.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Ice025

Burning a little oil is one thing. Most hondas with some miles on em will do that. But if you are completely empty after 2k miles then you have a pretty serious problem. If it was me i'd be pretty concerned about it and get my car to a mechanic asap.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Spec R

Originally posted by 99GSRbeerman
my engine is just about spotless.....the only mess in there is a little antifreeze and there isnt even alot of that.
My engine is bay is spotless too. Took it to the dealership under warranty, they did a compression and leakdown test, and all the numbers were well above spec, but for some unknown reason to both them and me, my motor still burned oil. No leaks anywhere were found. They said that it is within spec if a car burns 1 quart every 1000 miles, any more, then its out of spec.

Main suspects are:
1. Piston rings are shot.
2. Valve guides/seals are leaking.

Beerman, bump it up to 10w40, and see how that goes.