Notices

timing belt change, tips?

Old 08-15-2002, 07:55 PM
turbosix
turbos everywhere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt change, tips?

hey guys sorry for another timing belt question

but my friend wants the belt on her 95 accord changed. its the non vtec 2.2. my thing isnt for hondas, but i know i can do this myself, i just wanted to ask some experts if there were any tips or tricks to it before i committed myself to doing this for her... not for free, i hear its difficult, hehe, im not crazy, but i told her id do it for $50 less than the cheapest place, so here i am. experts, lemme know what im getting myself into

thanks guys!

oh yea, my cousin just got a 95 civic EX auto, so i guess ill be doing this twice...
Old 08-16-2002, 03:44 AM
The Dude
Banned

Timing belt change isn't something to be messed with by an amature. Theres a reason that it costs $500 dollars to do at the dealer, because its a very exacting process. If you mess up you will be oweing her alot more then $50 dollars.

My Advice-If you are really confident that you can do it well enough in that little engine bay without an engine lift, go ahead and do it. Not many Honda people mess with it. Also replace the waterpump at the same time, since its in that area.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:50 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

You better get as much advice and tips as possible cause if you mess up, you will be in some deep ish. Go too a shop and do it for her.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:01 AM
blake331

I found a guy that works at a Honda shop to do it at home.........I bought the belts and he charged me $100 it was well worth it. I've been a mechanic on bikes for 15 years........I started to look at what was involved and how much trouble it was..............especially never having done this repair before. I buttoned it back up and found a guy to do it at home.

FYI..........it took him all of 2 hours to have it completed.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:50 AM
turbosix
turbos everywhere

you guys tryin to scare me? heh.. well, im glad yall are warning me. but i know its probably easier than taking out and reinstalling my transmission, and probably easier than changing the timing chain on my car, which requires you to take every single thing off the front of the engine (alt, ps, water pump, ac, coil, cam sensor, crank sensor, front cover.. etc)

probably easier than getting my freaking header back onto the car with the new downpipe in there....

so atleast i know what im getting into, thanks guys!
Old 08-16-2002, 12:32 PM
The Dude
Banned

WRC mechanics can change a transmission in 11 minutes not that anyone cares
Old 08-16-2002, 06:12 PM
turbosix
turbos everywhere

are you a wrc mechanic?

my car isnt a rally car.. its not built for 11 minute transmission changes..

the gearbox on cart and irl cars can be changed in about 2 or 3 minutes, not that anyone cares :-D
Old 08-16-2002, 08:31 PM
jdblack1

It's not hard. Do you have an impact gun? You'll need that or either a Crank wrench made by moroso. I've tried the screwdriver in the flywheel and it will crack the bellhousings. Tell her to get all new belts and the water pump. Get the valve cover gasket and a tube of HondaBond from the dealer. That should do it. And it is just a 2 hour job for one guy and a good working environment.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:09 PM
jayca80

Originally posted by turbosix
you guys tryin to scare me? heh.. well, im glad yall are warning me. but i know its probably easier than taking out and reinstalling my transmission, and probably easier than changing the timing chain on my car, which requires you to take every single thing off the front of the engine (alt, ps, water pump, ac, coil, cam sensor, crank sensor, front cover.. etc)

probably easier than getting my freaking header back onto the car with the new downpipe in there....

so atleast i know what im getting into, thanks guys!
damn you're good at those. you didn't mention it in the first place though.
so as far as you've said of what you're capable of, you shouldn't have any problem. good luck!
Old 08-18-2002, 01:52 PM
Screech

Originally posted by jdblack1
It's not hard. Do you have an impact gun? You'll need that or either a Crank wrench made by moroso. I've tried the screwdriver in the flywheel and it will crack the bellhousings. Tell her to get all new belts and the water pump. Get the valve cover gasket and a tube of HondaBond from the dealer. That should do it. And it is just a 2 hour job for one guy and a good working environment.
I've broke loose and tightened the crack bolt on my friends XR2(capri turbo) engine by putting it in gear and using a really big braker bar while he held the brake. Of course this only works for manuals. I was asked to help after he removed the timing belt and spun the crank a few times trying to get that bolt. Luckly the cams stopped at an angle that prevented the valves from getting bent.

My suggetion, recheck every step of the way. Then, recheck it again.