Notices

**Engine water logging and check engine light**

Old 08-17-2002, 11:27 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Engine water logging and check engine light**

Ok, from the subject you kinda already know what happened.

First the cause of the problem. I originally removed my resonator which leaves my airbox open to whatever comes in the front right trim under the bumper.

Thursday night i went to a local warehouse parking lot and changed my automatic tranny fluid and was done with that. I WAS planning on doing my oil at the same time but i decided to pack up because a storm was heading in. I made a GOOD choice because it started to sprinkle JUST as i got the car off the ramps and everything in my trunk. Thank GOD!

So i decided NOT to go home right away. I wanted to see if my tranny was alright with the new fluid i put in. So i drove around a little. It starting raining harder and HARDER..REALLY HARD!!! Now it was POURING! I was driving through this parking lot with draines in the center of the lot with warehouse builidings on both sides of me. So all the water from the roofs of those warehouses were draining down into those drains. I was like "cool..thise is deep water...water spraying from my car is prety cool"....so i start going through it faster..and then one i went through REALLY fast....BIG MISTAKE!!

After that my car started to loose power and started to vibrate. I SO friggin knew what i did!!! Water splashed up into the filter and SOAKED it!!

So the check engine light came on immediatly, so i shut the car off!

I waited..and thought...thought..and thought some more.

I eventually started the engine again and seemed alright...BUT..when you hit the gas...i assume it sucks water out of the soaked filter into the engine....so it starts to vibrate again...so i let my foot off the gas. I let it idle....i think if more and more air gets sucked through the filter. It'll dry it out eventually. I was right...well...not RIGHT..but semi-right. I guessed it dried it out enuff so i could get some high rpm's to get the car moving.

I went up to the gas station under cover of the rain and look my airbox apart. Sure enuf...SOAKED!! I tried to dry most of it out...but it's still gonna be wet. So i just drove home and turned it off. Next morning it was fine. I'm pretty sure the filter has dried by now(didnt feel like taking the airbox apart again).

Just last night i changed my coolant and my oil. The car runs great and sounds great. BUT..i have a small problem...

My STUPID check engine light is on!!!! Now i have heard before that if anything is wrong with the car..obviously that light will light up. I also heard that REGARDLESS of what you do to fix the problem that had happened. The light will STAY on??? Is this correct? or is the sensors still picking up water in the intake? I am figuring i have to go to honda for them to reset it for me cuz that light is ANNOYING!!

Can i get it checked other places besides Honda? I dont wanna pay too much for them just goin in and reseting the ecu or somethin. I can do that myself. Will resetting the ecu reset that? I havent tried that yet but i might.

What is the SURE FIRE way to reset your ecu? I have heard of removing the ecu fuse...to disconecting the battery for 5 minutes....to i dont know what.

Thanx for all the help, hopefully someone will have some experience with what i'm going through, thanx!

Dave
Old 08-17-2002, 02:42 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

*bump*

So nobody has ever had water sucked into their engine?
Old 08-17-2002, 05:54 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

*bump*
Old 08-18-2002, 05:39 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

another *bump*

Anybody at least know how much an engine diagnostic would cost at either Honda or a local shop? I am probably going to do that myself.

Dave
Old 08-18-2002, 07:33 AM
smakdown

I havn't ever sucked water into my engine, but its making me think twice about removing my resonator for a cheap cai...:squint:
Old 08-18-2002, 09:44 AM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

Originally posted by smakdown
I havn't ever sucked water into my engine, but its making me think twice about removing my resonator for a cheap cai...:squint:
well...i think its worth it(i like the sound of my engine)...as LONG as u are careful when going through puddles at high speeds. I want to modify my poormans cai so no water will be splashed into it at ALL. I'm goin to try to put an extension on it somehow, but i'm not sure how yet. I might use the j-tube that came off the resonator when i removed that. I'll see!

Dave
Old 08-18-2002, 10:11 AM
bdeitemeyer
Brad

i was washing my engine bay a few weeks ago & got water into the intake, and it ended up getting into the spark plug wires. the engine light came on & my car's exhaust was pulsating so slowly i thought i had a v8 all of the sudden. after i contacted a few honda experts, they suggested i unplug my spark plug wires & see how much water had gotten in, and then vacuum it out or get it out whatever way you can (i had to play small pieces of tissue paper in there to absorb the water since i couldn't find a portable vacuum. after i checked all the possible places for water, i connected everything back up, started up the car...and everything seemed fine again. the check engine light was still on, but they assured me that was normal & that i just need to reset my ECU again. so i did that, and everything's been fine ever since.

hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:20 AM
RKV

yea, if u disconnect the battery, i dont even think u have to wait 5 mins, but whatever... yea, if their is really NOTHING wrong with ur car, it should stay off, but if something is wrong, it will stay on, cuz mines went off b4, and then came on again later... and i did still have the problem, so i guess the few mechanics i went to were right, reset the ECU by the disconnecting the battery. good luck
Old 08-18-2002, 10:46 AM
bdeitemeyer
Brad

you should wait more than 5 minutes when you're disconnecting your battery in order to reset your ecu. wait at least 10 minutes, then reconnect the battery, start the car, let it idle for another 5-6 minutes, then turn it back off, and then your car will be ready again when you turn it back on. whatever you do...DO NOT...hit the gas while your car is idling for those 5-6 minutes. other than that, it should be a piece of cake.
Old 08-18-2002, 04:22 PM
REbornHONDAneer
Honda Biased

ok, thanx all u guys, the advice payed off. I went over to a friends house to help him with his computer and before i went in, i disconnected the battery cable to see if this would work. I was inthere for about 45 min...so thats WELL over the 10 minute rule. I came out..reconnected and VIOLA!!! Check engine light has vanished!!!! Hopefully to never reappear!

thanx again....

Dave