Notices

new engine... speedometer problem and check engine light

Old 04-21-2003, 01:54 PM
bboygraphix
your.mom.loves.me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new engine... speedometer problem and check engine light

picked up my car today... 1.6 DOHC ZC JDM spec engine. anyways, i'm having trouble with my speedometer and the check engine light is on. the engine runs great and the extra 30 horses feels awesome. the mechanic who installed the engine said that the check engine light was caused by my ECU not being used to the different readings the distributor and O2 sensor is giving off? i dont understand clearly what he was talking about because he barely speaks english. i was wondering if something like this can be solved by simply resetting the ECU (im gonna try it right now)? or would i have to buy a new 89 integra ECU?

thanks

Old 04-21-2003, 02:07 PM
bboygraphix
your.mom.loves.me

p.s. resetting the ECU did not work. the check engine light is still on and the speedometer "jumps" or just doesnt work at all. the odometer, trip meter, signal lights, temp, and fuel gauges work fine on the cluster. any suggestions? i'm most likely going to take my car into my regular mechanic to have the install checked out and get the engine tuned. i'd just like to have the speedometer working before i take the car in next week.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:51 PM
likaciv
Pretty Much its a Civic

Your gonna need the ecu that came with the motor, and the speedometer gets its readings from a sensor onthe trans you may want to look into that, its usualy on the rear side of the trans, on top. Jump the ecu and see what codes you are exactly getting.
BTW, why did you go with auto??
Old 04-21-2003, 04:43 PM
bboygraphix
your.mom.loves.me

thanks! i went with auto because my original tranny is auto. when i bought the car back in 98, my parents didnt want me racing (who's parents do?) so i compromised and got automatic. it sucks a fat one but oh well. i wanted to do a tranny swap when i got the new engine, but i simply couldnt afford the extra money right now. my friend said he'll do the tranny swap for me this summer. hahahha
Old 04-21-2003, 04:51 PM
dantastic
cx power!

why zc? theyre all really old... a faulty vehicle speed sensor will throw a cel. so will alot of other things.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:06 PM
crucial Si
Banned

zc in a 5th gen :ugh:
Old 04-21-2003, 05:19 PM
bboygraphix
your.mom.loves.me

hahahah... i know i know. i wish i coulda gone b16a or b18c... but just remember, i unexpectedly blew my engine, and i needed an inexpensive way to get my car back on the road. ZC was the only logical thing to do. there was no way in hell i was gonna go back to a 1.5 or 1.6 SOHC engine. i'm a poor college student who pays insurance, rent, bills, etc... !!!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 PM
dantastic
cx power!

i woulda gone d16z6. i almost did. but i got a good deal on a b16a. ZC's are 12+ years old (then again my b16a is probably ~10 yrs old)
Old 04-21-2003, 08:39 PM
likaciv
Pretty Much its a Civic

6th gen?? thats a 5th gen civic :thumbup:
Old 04-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Kabooki

Exact same problem! But only after driving about 20 min my speedometer doesnt seem to work between 10-25mph plus my check engine light comes on, when i turn the car off then back on it comes on again if I let it cool for a couple hours the check engine light comes on after about 20min of driving again. Please help, Jiffy Lube blew my engine and i got a cheap replacement to hold me over.

I bought this car for my birthday, it was paid off in 6months and on that 6th month the engine threw 2 rods. With this other engine i got i just had a msd put in, but doesnt seem to make a diff.