Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

D16Z6 into 91 CRX DX

Old 07-07-2004, 07:47 PM
thumbtack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Z6 into 91 CRX DX

I have searched around but I cant find anymore info... so I have a few questions.

I bought a 92-95 Civic Engine Wiring Harness, and a p28 ECU. Can I just get a dash harness from a 92-95 Civic and plug the two together or should I just keep the dx dash harness?

Using the 92-95 Engine Harness what all do I have to rewire? and are the ecu connectors the same on the dx as on the p28 ecu?

Anything else i should be aware of before i get going on putting the engine in? I am using the dx tranny, if that helps any.

Thanks. Look forward to posting here more!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=146224

A lot of what I typed up this morning applies to you too, specifically the Dual Port injection vs Multi Port FI. Converting your dash harness to a '92-'95 Civic (usually called and EG to save typing, '88-'91 is EF) will be a huge pain in the ass. Nothings really going to line up or plug in (specifically gauge cluster, HVAC controls, lights ...). Before a swap like this was typically done with an EF Si ECU and some sort of goofey VTEC control (like an RPM activated swtich designed for a shift light or something like a V-AFC). These work but don't give you the proper fuel and ignition maps for a VTEC engine. Your much better off buying a EF-EG conversion harness. I helped a friend do a CRX/D16Z6 swap and he had one (I didn't help with the wiring and have no idea where he bought it) but it basically had one side that plugged into the EF's car harness and the other side plugged into the OBD I P28 EG ECU. There were a bunch of extra wires sticking out between the two plugs that you had to run for things like VTEC and a 4-wire O2 sensor (maybe even the MPFI leads if you have the right harness) that a P28 needs and a '91 CRX won't have stock. You will have wiring issues but stick with the stock in-car harness unless your a masochist who loves being up to his eyeballs in wires. You will not be specifically use the EG engine wiring harness but you will need to canabilize it for parts (injectors comes to mind) and spare wire. Give yourself a long weekend, a couple of Helm's factory service manuals (one for the car, one for the engine) and a backup plan to get to work/school if it doesn't start and you should be fine.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:37 PM
thumbtack

Default Re:

Thanks for the info... I have plenty of time to do this swap right now cause I am unemployed at the moment and finished school a long time ago.

So, i hope this is correct, I should just keep the crx's dx Engine wiring harness and just add the parts I need running new wiring for those parts? I will try to get the connector for the ecu then... that will make life easier.

I am picking the engine up tomorrow, so if it has the plugs with wires still attached, can I just use those plugs/connectors and just add wire so I dont need a wiring harness from a EG?

Sorry for all the q's, just want to spen as little money as possible... the only reason this whole thing came about is the d15b2 spun a rod bearing and I needed new crank... 70 under on the #4 rod. So with all the machining they wanted 1400$ for everything to be rebuilt... after I had everything apart. I left and bought this engine instead.

Thanks again

*edit* ummm... those ecu adapters are $250 is there another way of rewiring the p28 for use with the dx harness? if so is there someone who has a walkthrough or a diagram for this?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Your going to have to reuse the stock CRX DX in car harness pretty much no matter what (it would be a real pain to even remove it, much less wire in a new harness never designed to go in that car). This requires you to stick with the CRX DX engine harness or it won't plug into the in-car harness. You will however have some work to do to that harness, specifically adding wires for 2 more injectors, VTEC, 4 wire O2 sensor and others (I don't know specifically what will need to be done, if you have old Sport Compact Car issues they did a DPFI to MPFI tech article that was pretty damn good, their website might even have it sportcompactcarweb.com). You will also need an non-OBD EF to OBD I EG conversion harness to plug the P28 SOHC VTEC ECU into your in-car harness. You'll have to reuse your stock tranny (or shop around for an Si tranny, the better gearing will help that D16Z6 get moving).

If you really want cheap as possible, you can also do what I recommend to the guy in the other thread, swap intake manifolds and run the D16Z6 as a non-VTEC DPFI engine. It will make less power but if price is the deciding factory, it will be cheaper. If your doing that, I'd say just go grab another '88-'91 DX engine though, probably cheaper yet.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:01 PM
thumbtack

Well I just found an adapter with the engine subharness and distributer adapter for 239$ not too bad... i think I will go this route... easiest I think?

Here is the site
Old 07-08-2004, 05:15 AM
thumbtack

Okay when I am rewiring the vehicle for MPFI am I just playing with the Wires coming out of the dash harness plug on the ecu or the actual ecu pins themselves?

I am going to be using a p28 ecu and a ecu adapter from locashracing.com... so in order for this to work with the D16Z6 engine I first need to rewire my harness to accept MPFI- correct? After I (assuming I am just cutting and splicing/rewiring the dash harness and plug) rewire my car for mpfi all I have to do is plug my harness into the adapter pigtail harness and then into my p28 ecu right? No having to rewire the p28 ecu?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

To my knowledge, that's all you have to do. That kit looks complete and will most likely make wiring the engine much simplier. I would consider emaling or calling them (locash) and tell them specifically what you want to (D16Z6 inot a DX CRX) and they can tell you probably better than I can exactly what needs done (I've never actually done one myself, just helped others). I'd imagine that you need to add wires and plugs for the addition injectors to the engine side of the harness and you will probably have to continue those wires after the disconnects between the engine and in-car harness down to the ECU (I don't know if your car is already wired for 4 injectors but they only use 2 or if the in-car harness is only wired for 2 injectors as well). It looks like the adaptor harness and the extra addon harnesses allow you to just plug the ECU in and plug the addon harness and just run the wires through the firewall and plug them into the engine where they need to go (specifically the O2 sensor and VTEC controls). The other harness lets you just plug the D16Z6's distrubtor into the CRX's engine wiring harness and work properly.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:55 PM
thumbtack

When I wire my ecu harness for the extra injectors I do not need a resistor box cause I am using the obd1 injectors... is that right? How do I wire those up then... the same way as a setup with a resistor box just not using the box? or is it completely diff?

I got the engine in the car... sucks to have to get it in before wiring but we got a new pup here and I cant leave anything on the ground. But here is a pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vtec_inside.jpg (133.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 07-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I don't know if you need the resistor box or not but I"m going to go out on a limb and say no. Since your using the OBD I D16Z6 injectors with a OBD I P28 ECU and you wouldn't need the resistor box in a '92-'95 Civic, I'm going to say no (if you were using the an '88-'91 Si ECU, you probably would). Like I said, I haven't done much EF work myself so I don't know all the specifics.

Motor looks good. I hate that junkyards write crap on valve covers (it said '95 INTEGRA V-TECH RUNS GOOD on the side of my B18C1's valve cover the whole time I owned it, it wouldn't come off). What kind of pup did you get? I have a chihuahua and a black lab. The lab lives with me and I'm always worried about her getting into the garage and finding a pan full of antifreeze.

Old 07-11-2004, 05:27 PM
thumbtack

we got a sheperd pup again....
here is the link to a thread with pics

Anyway, I guess I can figure out how to wire it, just would be nice to see someone elses engine so I can see how they ran the lines... Most people I know paid someone else to swap in a motor. What a waste of money half the time the mounts are messed up and the engine doesnt even sit level in the car... $4K down the drain. I prefer to do this stuff myself... I like it to be just right cause otherwise if I am paying someone else to do it I would be there everyday checking up and getting pissed off.