Notices

Clutch problems

Old 04-23-2004, 02:36 PM
parcero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems

I was backing up out of my driveway, when all of the sudden the card jerked a little and stopped. It jerked because the reverse gear was still in place and the clutch was not engaging. It turns out that the clutch pedal is stuck all the way in. I can manually put the clutch pedal back to its normail state, but once you push it back in, it stays down. Needless to say, I cannot move the car at all; I cannot put any gears in. Any one have any ideas?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:44 PM
accordvtec77

IRONICALLY enough...I performed an update to the clutch hydraulic system on the 6th gen Accords, just a couple days ago. It basically states that the clutch master AND slave will fail, and I was given updated parts to install. The parts were an updated clutch master, slave, and the line that connects them. It was easy enough for ME to do it...being a former Audi tech. I don't recommend this for anyone who's NOT mechanically inclined. The clutch master and slave are easy, it's the line that's kinda hard, because of the way it's routed. And YES, you HAVE to replace the line. The old line will not fit into either the new master or slave.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:43 AM
parcero

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have any website that will illustrate what needs to be done? I took a look, and I can see both master and slave are simple. I can see the line as well, and it does not look hard. Then again, I have not tried taking it out; that is probably when I am going to find out if it is hard or not. Also, where did you find out that all the parts you were given are updated? And that you need a new line as well? I have been shopping around a couple of websites and none mention this. I am yet to go to the dealer and find out, but that is next. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:58 PM
accordvtec77

Originally Posted by parcero
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to have any website that will illustrate what needs to be done? I took a look, and I can see both master and slave are simple. I can see the line as well, and it does not look hard. Then again, I have not tried taking it out; that is probably when I am going to find out if it is hard or not. Also, where did you find out that all the parts you were given are updated? And that you need a new line as well? I have been shopping around a couple of websites and none mention this. I am yet to go to the dealer and find out, but that is next. Thanks for the help.
Well I actually work for a dealer now, in Carlsbad. That's where all this information is being fed to me from. I believe it was a bulletin I was performing. The line is not so hard really, it's more a matter of snaking it out from behind the intake manifold. That was the tricky part. Otherwise, the master and slave are super easy. BTW, what year Accord are you driving? And I don't know of any websites that will show you HOW to do it...a simple helms manual should be enough. I found these cars are much simpler to work on, when compared to the german shit I've been working on the last 6.5 years. If you have any questions in the future, feel free to ask.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:47 AM
parcero

I have a 98 accord EX sedan. I went ahead and ordered all parts, including the line, just to be safe. I think I should be ok when I try to replace them. It looks a lot easier than replacing a power steering hose on an 89 prelude !!! I'll update once I am done. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:30 AM
accordvtec77

Originally Posted by parcero
I have a 98 accord EX sedan. I went ahead and ordered all parts, including the line, just to be safe. I think I should be ok when I try to replace them. It looks a lot easier than replacing a power steering hose on an 89 prelude !!! I'll update once I am done. Thanks for the info.
Yup..that's the same year/make/model I replaced the clutch parts on this last week. Anything on these newer cars is much easier than the older counterparts, especially the Prelude . Good luck with the parts swap. To make it easier, the line is more easily removed by moving it to the right side of the vehicle (right if you're standing in front of it with the hood open). The line will be easier to maneuver behind the intake manifold this way.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:57 AM
parcero

Thanks for the tip.