Notices

tire/rim size question for 06 TSX :o

Old 08-27-2006, 04:52 PM
jschmid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrChad
There is if you want to keep an over all 25.4" rolling diameter and V-rated minimum speed rating on a 7" wide rim.

My buddy runs a 225-45-17 on his TSX, that's a wider tread with much better selection of tires. The downside is his over all diameter is now 25.0" Which is ideal for the 4cyl 6th not the newer v6 and 7th gen Accord.

Which I can only assume is the reason for the wider A-spec rims.
It just depends on what you want. If maintaining the exact same diameter as oe, then you are right, you only have one choice. But if you want wider tires, you can go wider. If you want a slightly smaller diameter to shorten the gearing, you can do that. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

That being said, on a stock wheel I'd probably stick with 215/50 or 225/45.

You also have to remember that there can be pretty significant size differences between different tire manufacturers for one given tire size.

Check out the attached picture. When I got my CL wheels they came with two different types of tires. Same brand, both Continentals. Same size (205/55-16) but a different model. And we aren't talking passenger car tire vs summer only...both are all season tires. Notice there is a significant difference in diameter and width. Imagine the difference when you compare different manufacturers.

You factor that in with tire wear, changes in psi, and there are a lot of variables that prevent you from saying that only one tire size is the right overall diameter for the car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC03992.JPG (155.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-27-2006, 06:51 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

you can buy any tire you want that's true, but 225mm is about as wide as you can squeeze on to the 7" wide rim. And as I said before do that, and you will be running a smaller diameter, which my main concern would be the added mileage to the odometer. (I think it was a couple hundred miles per oil change.)

And yes not all 215-50-17's are exactly the same size (TireRack does list the true OD as well), I'm sure ASTM allows for some mfg. tolerance of around 1-5%, but I'm sure it will be a smaller delta then 225-45 vs 215-50.

The ideal solution to running a wider tire on the TSX is the 235/45/17, but it does require a new rim 7.5" wide. An 18" rim would allow for a TSX ideal 235/40/18 as well.

The upside is the much larger selection of maxi-performance models available in the 235 width. 215-50-17 is more passenger car oriented then performance car in it's tire choices.

And if the TSX is your daily ride, the new rims are not that large of an expense, expecially if you want maximum performance rubber. As those types of tires are not cheap $150-200.00/ea. Add in the life cycle of 10,000-20,000mi and the cost of new rims won't matter come a typical 4 years, 75,000mi of use.

My 225-45-17 Potenza's cost more (per tire) then the my BBS rims did (per wheel.) So in my case my rim was an accesory for the tire.

After all if you are purchasing maximum performance tires, you might as well shod them on some lighter performance alloys.

I'm finding the OEM TSX Pilots have a very long life span, even longer on ours since I run a seperate 16" alloy (215/55/16) snow package in the winter. That said when I do need new tires for the TSX a 7.5" wide 17" or 18" performance rim isn't out of the question.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:39 PM
jschmid

Originally Posted by MrChad
you can buy any tire you want that's true, but 225mm is about as wide as you can squeeze on to the 7" wide rim. And as I said before do that, and you will be running a smaller diameter, which my main concern would be the added mileage to the odometer. (I think it was a couple hundred miles per oil change.)

And yes not all 215-50-17's are exactly the same size (TireRack does list the true OD as well), I'm sure ASTM allows for some mfg. tolerance of around 1-5%, but I'm sure it will be a smaller delta then 225-45 vs 215-50.

The ideal solution to running a wider tire on the TSX is the 235/45/17, but it does require a new rim 7.5" wide. An 18" rim would allow for a TSX ideal 235/40/18 as well.

The upside is the much larger selection of maxi-performance models available in the 235 width. 215-50-17 is more passenger car oriented then performance car in it's tire choices.

And if the TSX is your daily ride, the new rims are not that large of an expense, expecially if you want maximum performance rubber. As those types of tires are not cheap $150-200.00/ea. Add in the life cycle of 10,000-20,000mi and the cost of new rims won't matter come a typical 4 years, 75,000mi of use.

My 225-45-17 Potenza's cost more (per tire) then the my BBS rims did (per wheel.) So in my case my rim was an accesory for the tire.

After all if you are purchasing maximum performance tires, you might as well shod them on some lighter performance alloys.

I'm finding the OEM TSX Pilots have a very long life span, even longer on ours since I run a seperate 16" alloy (215/55/16) snow package in the winter. That said when I do need new tires for the TSX a 7.5" wide 17" or 18" performance rim isn't out of the question.
Well my TSX isn't going to be getting any aggressive, expensive rubber because it's Amy's daily driver. So it'll likely always have 215/50's on it.

We did just take it on a road trip a couple weeks ago and it was a great. 5 days, 4 states, ~1500 miles and it pulled through like a champ.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:31 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally Posted by jschmid
Well my TSX isn't going to be getting any aggressive, expensive rubber because it's Amy's daily driver. So it'll likely always have 215/50's on it.

We did just take it on a road trip a couple weeks ago and it was a great. 5 days, 4 states, ~1500 miles and it pulled through like a champ.
Ours is currently Nancy's as well, but at some point I will likely sell the Accord and at that time, it might make more sense to buy the wife a new car and take over the TSX for myself.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:40 AM
TaekOne
pronounced tech

mm, good info. thanks guys. and congrats to you, jschmid, on your TSX, too