Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

auto-cross/club

Old 12-23-2005, 11:30 PM
mr.crx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto-cross/club

ok is there any like sponsorships going on in autocross or club racing and is there any money to really be won
Old 12-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

There are lots of sponsorships in autox, but it's usually silly stuff like people's friends or the shop they work at. There is certainly no money to be won there. Nobody is impressed by a bunch of people parking-lot racing. It's all about driving for yourself, and paying a bunch of money to do so.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Ludemandan
There are lots of sponsorships in autox, but it's usually silly stuff like people's friends or the shop they work at. There is certainly no money to be won there. Nobody is impressed by a bunch of people parking-lot racing. It's all about driving for yourself, and paying a bunch of money to do so.
A sponsorship is a sponsorship. Why would it be silly? You have to start somewhere and someplace. Who cares if it's a mom & pop store? Eventually if you are patient other sponsorships will come.

But speaking from experience in order to attain ANY type of sponsorship history and wins talk. I've been autocrossing for 8 years and my first sponsorship didn't appear til my 3rd year. A sponsorship is also not all about free stuff or money. Realize you are working for that company(s) and trying to represent the best for them. The free stuff/money come 2nd or even 3rd.

Nobody is impressed by a bunch of people parking-lot racing.
And actually you are dead wrong on that too. To compete against others where you only get 3 runs to win is actually harder than road racing or even drag racing. Where people win by 1/10ths or 1/100ths of a second is all about luck and driving skill. Where you have to run the course at 100% or risk being in 10th spot. Look at Nationals from this year in the STS class. If I remember right the top 15 places were separated by 1/2-1 second. That's amazing driving skill.

Last edited by CivicSiRacer; 12-24-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:38 PM
withemptyeyes
Registered Abuser

the money's in drifting! :crazyr:
Old 12-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
A sponsorship is a sponsorship. Why would it be silly? You have to start somewhere and someplace. Who cares if it's a mom & pop store? Eventually if you are patient other sponsorships will come.
True, I guess I should amend that. When I see someone asking for a sponsorship, I imagine they're looking for someone who will pay their entrance fees and give them free parts. AFAIK, that doesn't really happen in autox. But mom & pop sponsorships are common and are cool, and I have gone around asking for them myself. But that's more about you representing a shop you like, just for fun, than about really getting something out of it.

Dan
Old 12-27-2005, 08:58 AM
mr.crx

anybody know anything about club racing what is it all about?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:22 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Look it up:
http://www.scca.com/Club/Club.asp?IdS=00EDA7-6417680&x=030|010&~=
Old 12-30-2005, 10:59 AM
MiataMania
Go Kart Driver

I know I'm kinda in the wrong forum since I drive a mazda...but plenty of my friends race older civics and CRXs. Theres plenty of sponsorships...from mom and pops to big shots once you rack up the wins...I've got a sponsor for tires next season from a friends shop, its not a lot, but it gets me going somewhere. As for you guys...take a crx...throw some tires on it..some sways...and if you can afford it, suspension mods. And go at it, mostly its for fun, but theres a lot more interest in auto-x than many people believe.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:30 AM
mr.crx

well thank you sir and welcome to han
Old 01-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
And actually you are dead wrong on that too. To compete against others where you only get 3 runs to win is actually harder than road racing.
I would throughly disagree with that statement. Racing against the clock on a track by yourself and trying to win, is completely different that racing against 30 or more other cars at the same time on the same track for over 20 mins or more.