Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

help me decide which job to pick

Old 08-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Grifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me decide which job to pick

so ive been working at chase manhattan lending for the past month
back in april i was hired at the county as a clerk, but that would take a couple to a few months to get my paperwork processed and in

keep in mind i still have about 1.5 years of school left which i can do mainly on weekends and evenings

today the county called and wants me to start next week. i need to make a decision but i dunno which to pick

chase pros:
-good people, my best friend mom got me the job
-flexible with time: they will let me have mondays off for a class i need next quarter
-hours are 830-530 but these days its real busy so the office buys lunch (olive garden, pat & oscars, stuff like that) and have us eat and work thru our lunch hour, which is paid for
-lots of OT. i can come in at 730a and leave 730p
-15 min tops drive with no traffic
-pay: ~$12/hr but i netted $455 for the first week cuz of ot

cons:
-limited growth - id be an account manager or exec or something which pays decent from what i understand (ill have an exact figure tomorrow)

county pros:
-virtually unlimited room for growth - they employ engineers, programmers, project managers, comp security, etc.
-impossible to get laid off unless they are suffering serious budget crisis. this last crisis ($30billion in debt) they managed to get thru and even get new dells for employees
impossible to get laid off 2: my friends in the county tell me stories - one guy stole a county van and brought it back a week later and was only suspended. another guy setup a web cam to spy on the girl in the next cubicle and was caught :njerk: and was only suspended. and lastly, one guy (a systems analyst tech) came in fri morn drunk as fawk and they couldnt do anything cuz he is in AA
-pay: starts at gross ~$2400/month with regular raises
-benefits: $300 allowance/mo for medical and/or dental. if you choose to waive the benefits (say you are on you daddys ins) you get to pocket the $300
-discounts to local attractions like disneyland and la fair

cons:
-1hr drive thru traffic to and from. ~30 miles away
-work schedule will be non-negotiable (8a-5p)

which would you pick
Old 08-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

Chase, no doubt. If they didn't give me any flexibility on school, I'd pass. That should be your first and foremost priority (besides family). While the second job sounds great, I think you'll get a lot of good experience at chase, take advantage of what they teach you, then go find another job with that experience and a degree to boot.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:59 PM
jlammy
w00t

Chase....finish with school first

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 08-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Grifter

i should mention i would like to end up with a career with they county