Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.
View Poll Results: Have you ever driven an Eclipse GS-T; if so, what did you think?
Yes
60.00%
No
40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Drove an Eclipse GS-T the other day

Old 06-13-2003, 11:17 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ever driven an Eclipse GS-T?

I did the other day, and it was a spyder, too. Belonged to an old friend who got his license suspended a while ago for not paying to renew his tags; been down on his luck fiscally.

Anyway, a cop caught him on the old tags and told him he needed to have a friend drive him home, and that he better not drive it anymore before fixing the registration issue. So I was picked as the lucky friend...

Quick note: this car is a spaceship. Altezzas, I'm not even sure what to call the middle section between the altezzas, that was clear also and had little "+" LEDs, short shifter, indiglo shifter, indiglo gauges, full brushed aluminum interior, etc. etc. etc. You get the idea. Absolutely nothing done performance-wise, not even intake. 137k miles. Red, stock rims (!).

So the car had some SERIOUS problems. He said that he had "a bad hub" on his driver's left side and that Eclipse's were notorious for it. So any time I got the car about 3-4K RPMs in 1st or 2nd gear I was rewarded with a very very loud "KHKHKHKHKHKHKHKH" sound... like the sound you make when hocking a loogie or driving without much brake pads left. Metal on metal. LOUD. It wasn't pretty. In fact, at one point, when I hit 5k or 6k in first gear pulling into his neighborhood, we heard this "KHTHUNK" sound, he said "damn, did something just break??" ... who knows what it was, but it wasn't good. He also said it had tons of "lugnut problems"...anyone heard of that?

His shifter was nearly impossible to shift, also. His short shifter was one of those cheap eBay ones that had broken on him, so he had some friend weld it for free for him in their spare time... only it resulted in -tremendous- effort moving the shifter left to right. same with pushing it up or down to engage a gear. It was a real work out.

On the plus side, the car really moved, especially for just being stock. Whenever the little turbo gauge would start pushing up into the "+" territory, the car would really take off, and even though I didn't have too much area to experiment in, it was a whole hell of a lot faster than my D16Z6 Del Sol

Overall, it wasn't bad. I never caught "Eclipse Fever" which made its way through my town about two years ago, when after one of my friends got a '95 GS-T, like 4 or 5 other people (at least) went out and bought one. The spyder I drove was perhaps the last car bought during that craze. His previous car was a nice, clean Acura TL. Before that he had two non-turbo Eclipses, one 2nd Gen auto and one 1st gen stick. I'll try to get some pictures to post this weekend!
Old 06-13-2003, 11:40 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

I think it's a nice car. I haven't driven one but i've been in a spyder. The interior is kind of bland and I heard about reliability problems with Mitsubishi but it looks great from the outside.

They didn't sell Eclipses in Canada until recently, actually in the past year, so they were pretty exclusive before.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:56 PM
whoaitslen2
hermit

I drove a friends 95gst before it got stolen. It was pretty fast the day I drove it. The other days it was in the garage getting fixed for stupid things. One of them was a popped coolant line and cracked radiator cap a week after the fmic was installed .
Old 06-14-2003, 12:07 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

it's an extremely nice car if you kept care of it. 137K ... the turbos, if not properly cooled every shut off, should have a life span of 60K
Old 06-14-2003, 12:46 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

I drove a GS-X....I like it a lot h:.

duck squad member #00003
Old 06-14-2003, 01:00 AM
WideBodyEK
Stage 3 Modified

my little cousin had a GSX,..she let me drive it all the time,..it pulled for being stock,...i still think its a girl's car,..girls look cute in eclipses
Old 06-14-2003, 10:50 AM
DC294GSR
How did I get here?

i drove a friend of mines GST, i liked it alot, the turbo pulled really nice, but had a bit of wheel hop, but once it got moving, it was hard to get off the gas. I raced a Trans Am from about a 40 roll while driving it and took him out (this is a slightly modded GST) however, i raced the GST when it was stock in a LS integra with intake and exhaust from a stop till about 80 and beat it, so im kinda conflicted. All in all i think its a pretty nice car, i hope to own a GSX, or EVO someday. :thumbup:
Old 06-14-2003, 01:55 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

I drove a '95 Talon TSi AWD once--it felt like being in a minivan with the roof collapsed. No thanks.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:58 PM
DB7 2.0
Banned

Originally posted by WideBodyEK
...i still think its a girl's car,..girls look cute in eclipses
Old 06-14-2003, 04:30 PM
ur31337
Colby

My friend Chris has a GS-T Spyder, a 97. Clutch, short throw & intake. 96K and falling apart. Horribly maintained, it was quick, but I had an LS at the time. He drove my car and said mine was faster.

My other friend Jim has a 97 GSX coupe, and it moves. It feels REAL heavy, but once you get it going, it's cool. He's got a BOV, intake & turbo timer.