Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Buying crotch rocket - want opinions

Old 05-18-2003, 10:50 AM
adslinstaller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying crotch rocket - want opinions

I am fixing to buy me a bike & want some opinions. I either want a Suzuki GSXR-600 or Yamaha YZF-R6.

I have read the latest motorcycle mags tests on the 600 class bikes & I know the YZF tests better than the GSXR. From what I read the diff between the 2 is VERY minute & mostly at the limit, but how often do you REALLY ride at the limit?!?!

I am mostly wanting a bike to ride back & forth to work during the week so I don't put so many miles on my car (100 miles round-trip) every day.

I am swinging toward the gixxer cause it's been out longer & has better aftermarket support as far as upgrades.

I want opinions from people who have owned & or ridden both & can give me their opinioins, so holla back.

I also looked @ a Honda CBR-600RR & have to say I liked it, but that has to be the MOST uncomfortable seat on the planet!!!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:59 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

as a former street rider, i can honestly say that you'll never reach the potential of these bikes - unless you either devote your free time to track school, have a hidden talent, or you just don't care about going balls out.

i guess what i'm saying is buy the one that you like the most, for whatever reason...since the limits are unattainable on the streets anyway.

some of my friends thought i was dumb buying a CBR F4 back in the days, because it didn't "look as good" as the R6. i chose it because it had the most comfortable seat and riding position, without compromising too much performance. they also told me "the magazines ranked it behind the R6 and ZX-6R." well guess what? i was still able to whoop "faster" bikes in the canyons. and vice versa, my friend on an old F2 would zip rip by me. just shows that it's all about the rider.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:23 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping you've had lots of experience with bikes before...because if you haven't i would definently recommend a starter bike much less powerful than these. If you go from no bike to a gsxr, you'll most likely kill yourself.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:45 PM
BuDDiFieD_CiViC

please dont be a noob, and get what bike you think is cool, or what has more upgrades to do. a bike is a big step, make sure you get a lot of practice in before you do anything, i've seen even veteran bike riders hit the pavement, do much more research and test each one out personally. i ride my homies bike now and then but still dayum scared to ride or buy my own. i wish one day is can ride a hayubusa (spell check?) god i love that bike =\ but yea be safe in whatever you get, peace man.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:47 PM
Fujiwara Takumi
It's my first day.

bikes aren't scary, you just gotta respect em
Old 05-18-2003, 12:55 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally posted by rich
i chose it because it had the most comfortable seat and riding position, without compromising too much performance.
Rich brings up a good point. adslinstaller, if your commute is 100 miles round trip, get a bike you feel comfortable on.

And to the rest of the stuff Rich said, :werd: x 134643

Stay safe, practice, and wear proper gear...
Old 05-18-2003, 01:41 PM
adslinstaller

Originally posted by RB
I'm hoping you've had lots of experience with bikes before...because if you haven't i would definently recommend a starter bike much less powerful than these. If you go from no bike to a gsxr, you'll most likely kill yourself.
I've been riding motorcycles since I was 6 years old (I'm 32 now), but I haven't had one for 5 or 6 years. That's why I'm goin' with a 600 instead of a hyabussa (?) or something WAY outta my league.

I've also been racing cars off & on for 10 years, so I'm not a noob as far as knowing your limits. I've been to racings school & I plan on going to a motorcycle school as well. I'm not looking to be a racer wanna-be, just wanna be safe & have a little fun.

I just realized recently how much I missed having a bike & want one for the freedom of it.

I'm supposed to be coming into some money soon from a death in the family & after I pay off my credit cards , I decided to get me a bike.

I was gonna do an H22 swap, forged rods, pistons, turbo, NOS, etc on my car but decided I don't really need a 400-500 hp accord

I guess the reason I posted this was to get people's opinions on what bike they would recommend.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:43 PM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

:doh: x 2432098095843

i thought u were a noob :happysad:
Old 05-18-2003, 02:04 PM
AcuraFanatic

Ducatti 996 man. I might buy one this Summer if the Mrs. doesn't deny it. :happysad:
Old 05-18-2003, 02:05 PM
dubcac
I

Originally posted by Fujiwara Takumi
bikes aren't scary, you just gotta respect em

It's not being on a bike that scares me, it's all the stupid drivers in their cars/trucks/suv's that scares me.