Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

california school says no to the american flag

Old 05-07-2010, 05:01 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default california school says no to the american flag

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06...est=latestnews

Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo.

The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, one of their parents told FoxNews.com. The boys complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The five students -- Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags.
way to california ... way to be :shake:
if i was one of those students i would be sooooo pissed, i'd have gotten a lawyer the minute i left school. trying to make them take off an american flag shirt because it's "mexicos day" ... mexico doesnt even celebrate the damn day. jesus christ all mighty
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 AM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

I understand the principle wanting to avoid fights but unfortunately there isn't much she can do about it. Just be vigilent and try to stop a fight once it breaks out.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah the day it was reported the principals email got flooded hard and the server shut down :rofl:
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM
ShaolinLueb

what jess said. they dont even celebrate it in mexico. (except in the small province of pueblo.)
Old 05-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

BTW you may have wanted to include that the boys were not suspended and the school board jumped the principals shit for that decision and is pending review of the situation.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

that's why i linked the article

they weren't suspended but they were sent home . . . and we both know the 'review' wont come out with anything
Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by JessTD
that's why i linked the article

they weren't suspended but they were sent home . . . and we both know the 'review' wont come out with anything
Yeah but most these idiots don't read more than the quoted portion.

I bet he will get nothing out of it as well, they will find some obscure law to argue and he will be commended for doing what the law states and get a raise.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 AM
b00gers

His argument was that he wanted to keep the campus safe. What was the intention of the boys wearing the shirts and bandannas? Or was the USA outfit something they wore throughout the year?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by b00gers
His argument was that he wanted to keep the campus safe. What was the intention of the boys wearing the shirts and bandannas? Or was the USA outfit something they wore throughout the year?
Makes no difference IMO

What country is this and when did it become wrong to wear the colors of your country in pride?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Tobra

Listening to the radio this morning about this one. Guy from Gilroy called and said they often have problems, never go after non-whites because then you get sued for being a racist. You make them shed the US flag, if you fail to do the same to the ones in Mexico gear it is straight up discriminatory and racist. Mother of one of the boys in US shirt said she has had a ton of calls from lawyers wanting to cash in on it, will be on O'Reilly tonight, she sounded pretty reasonable, said kid wears this stuff all the time.