Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Harmony 1000 universal remote v.needopinions

Old 09-04-2008, 02:14 AM
shabacash
I'M SO JDM, I HAVE SARS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmony 1000 universal remote v.needopinions

I am in the market for a universal remote controller. I have had my eyes on the Logitech Harmony 1000 for a few months now, and am finally deciding to get it.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...s/373&cl=us,en

Do any members own Logitech controllers? What are your opinions on it? Is there anything else in the market that is just as functional, aesthetically appealing, and easy to operate(something that does not look like a scientific calculator) that I should rather buy (for the same price margin + or - $100)

Last edited by shabacash; 09-04-2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:50 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by shabacash
I am in the market for a universal remote controller. I have had my eyes on the Logitech Harmony 1000 for a few months now, and am finally deciding to get it.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...s/373&cl=us,en

Do any members own Logitech controllers? What are your opinions on it? Is there anything else in the market that is just as functional, aesthetically appealing, and easy to operate(something that does not look like a scientific calculator) that I should rather buy (for the same price margin + or - $100)

Do any members own Logitech controllers? I own a Logitech Harmony 550

What are your opinions on it? i FRICKING LOVE IT!! I just recently built a HTPC and i wanted to have the remote work with it so i wouldn't have to use the M$ remote. After about an hour of configuring and testing. I have it setup to do everything i wanted and even learned some new tricks with it. Hands down harmonys are the best universal remotes in the world.

Is there anything else in the market that is just as functional, aesthetically appealing, and easy to operate(something that does not look like a scientific calculator) that I should rather buy (for the same price margin + or - $100)

NO!!!!

I noticed Logitech makes pretty top notch stuff. I love my harmony, i am really digging my DiNove Edge. Pretty much if there's anything else i need for my entertainment pleasure i'm going with Logitech.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

damn

ballin
Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 AM
GSRchick714

I was also thinking of getting one...glad to hear the good review
Old 09-04-2008, 06:58 AM
joebenz
nelson rules

i love my 880
Old 09-04-2008, 07:21 AM
scotttharobot
beer here

My roommate has a 880 pro that we have in our living room.

It's alright. It'll control anything.

A few lame issues:

It doesn't sit on the charging dock right. To get it to charge, you have to carefully place a weighted object on some area of the remote to get it to make the connection.

It's quicker to get up and change channels than going DEVICES --> selected device --> whatever.

My roommates think it's too confusing.

It's nifty, but it's nothing I would pay a bill for.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 AM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

Originally Posted by Scott Dodge

It's quicker to get up and change channels than going DEVICES --> selected device --> whatever.
That's where activities are great, but i feel where you are coming from. But i got use to it.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Scott Dodge
My roommate has a 880 pro that we have in our living room.

It's alright. It'll control anything.

A few lame issues:

It doesn't sit on the charging dock right. To get it to charge, you have to carefully place a weighted object on some area of the remote to get it to make the connection.

My roommates think it's too confusing.

It's nifty, but it's nothing I would pay a bill for.

They you need to setup the control better...

As Jae pointed out, use activities.... saves a ton of time on switching
Old 09-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

I bought one a while back.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...s/377&cl=us,en

That's not the specific model (mine's black) but the same basic series/level and same basic body. It's alright. It has buttons at the top like "Watch TV", "Watch DVD" or "Play a Game" that will turn the TV and other components on and the set the inputs and everything. Only problem was, I have a DVR cable box and if it's recording when I tell it shut everything down, it doesn't shut the cable box off so when I got to turn the TV back on, it turns the box off then and I have go into the menus to find the DVR and turn it back on manually. I also didn't like the placement of the number keys as that's primarily how I click (typing in channel number). It also burned through batteries like crazy (no docking station for mine).

I used it for about 3 months and then gave up when the 2nd or 3rd set of batteries finally gave out and just switched back to my standard remote that came with the cable box. My unit was also IR and I was to do it again, I'd probably look for a unit with RF and a IR blaster to mount to the cable box. The way everything is setup in my house living room, it can be a pain to get the cable box to respond to the remote without holding it in the air.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:01 AM
shabacash
I'M SO JDM, I HAVE SARS

thanks jae for that valuable insight. i wasn't really sure how good logitech was in this particular field.
Originally Posted by rebeld
damn

ballin
i wish it was for me

it's a gift h:

Originally Posted by joebenz
i love my 880
how well does the battery last on these color displays?

do you have to charge it more than twice a week?