Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Windows Krew ver. Hand-me-down

Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows Krew ver. Hand-me-down

I just received my dad's computer since I'm moving to CO. It's running XP. Now, it still has the original 256MB of RAM and a 40GB HDD. How much RAM should I add for smooth performance? How difficult is it to add a second HDD? There is a second ribbon connector labeled "slave" that I'd imagine I'd plug the second HDD in.

I just want some more space and smoother operation so me and my g/f can use it. We don't play games, just e-mail and internet.

Halp!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
I just received my dad's computer since I'm moving to CO. It's running XP. Now, it still has the original 256MB of RAM and a 40GB HDD. How much RAM should I add for smooth performance? How difficult is it to add a second HDD? There is a second ribbon connector labeled "slave" that I'd imagine I'd plug the second HDD in.

I just want some more space and smoother operation so me and my g/f can use it. We don't play games, just e-mail and internet.

Halp!
Is it a Dell?

I'd first see what type of memory is in there, and try to match the brand / speed. 256MB + 40GB HDD ... it could be anything (sdram, ddr)

It seems like you're fairly new to PC's ... so I'd just suggest a simple, removeable, USB HDD. Find a USB 2.0 slot and plug into it.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Grifter

put in a 512mb of the same type
second hdd should be easy to put in

and all the ram in the world will not make the computer run smoother if windows is bogged down with a bunch of programs/adware/virus
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

It's DDR RAM. It's an eMachine. My dad was anal about anti-virus/spyware stuff, and he never used to beyond spreadsheets and occasional internet.

edit: My discount on internal drives is significantly greater than it is on external.

Last edited by totalimmortal; 10-02-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:21 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

It appears to be a IDE/ATA drive.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

the installation should be a breeze. Take the internal HDD and set the jumper pins to "slave" ... "cable select" might work too. Make sure the original HDD is set to "master".

eMachines aren't the most powerful machines. I'd check the power rating on the power supply before adding on parts and pieces. If it's weak enough, you might not have enough juice to operate more devices.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I replaced the power supply not too long ago with a 500W unit. I'd imagine I'd have to format the drive in some way, correct? The physical install should be cake.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 AM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

I would suggest reformating the old drive too. Reinstall XP or whatever you have on it.
For the second, new drive, you have to format that and partition it. Its pretty straight forward. Just get Windows running, right click on My Computer. Select Manage, then go down to Disk Management and select the new drive.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:30 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Can I use the product key from the back of the computer case when I reformat? That would make sense to me. Also, when I reformat will I have to update to service pack 2 again?? I'd think that would be free from Microsoft.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Grifter

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
Can I use the product key from the back of the computer case when I reformat? That would make sense to me. Also, when I reformat will I have to update to service pack 2 again?? I'd think that would be free from Microsoft.
as long as its the same windows (xp?) version
once youve installed windows run windows update