Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

septoplasty ftl

Old 08-05-2007, 10:39 AM
FDragger
the F is a secret :shhh:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default septoplasty ftl

on thurs i went to the doctor for a septoplasty. ive been doped up on vicoden for a few days now. i think i lost over a pint of blood through my nose. i hope its worth it :hs:

Septoplasty is a corrective surgical procedure done to straighten the nasal septum - the partition between the two nasal cavities. Ideally, the septum should run down the center of the nose. When it deviates into one of the cavities, it narrows that cavity and impedes airflow. Nasal obstructions caused by serious deviations frequently lead to chronic sinus problems. Turbinate reduction may also be advised to further enlarge the nasal cavities. Most surgeries are completed in 90 minutes or less, not including recovery time.
Typical flexible splints that may be used in septoplasty. They are held in place in the nose with a stitch through the hole.
Typical flexible splints that may be used in septoplasty. They are held in place in the nose with a stitch through the hole.

Because the deviation is a result of a cartilage surplus, the procedure usually involves an excision of a portion of that tissue. Under general or local anesthesia, the surgeon works through the nostrils, making an incision in the lining of the septum to reach the cartilage targeted in the operation. Before the crooked portions of the cartilage can be excised, the cartilage must first be separated from the bony structures beneath it. After excess cartilage has been taken out, the septum may then be secured to the bone with small plastic elements, splints, or sutures.

The nasal cavities are then packed with a special material, and a piece of gauze is taped underneath the nose to absorb blood. Postoperative care includes frequent changing of this gauze (roughly every hour or so) and after a complete day, the excess bleeding normally stops and the inner nasal packing may be removed. The following day, saline irrigations of the nasal cavities are required, and it is only now that a patient is allowed to gently blow his/her nose. After approximately four days, patients can then blow their nose normally.

Patients typically regain about 80% of their energy one week after surgery, and make a full recovery after one month
Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM
fathergoat
:3

well that just sucks
Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 AM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

Ouch!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 08-05-2007, 11:44 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

I need to get this done as well at some point. Been having sinus issues for the past 3 years .

duck squad member #00003
Old 08-05-2007, 12:05 PM
FDragger
the F is a secret :shhh:

Originally Posted by 94civicEX
I need to get this done as well at some point. Been having sinus issues for the past 3 years .
the sooner the better. my left side of my nose had a really small opening compared to my right. hopefully this procedure clears things up :hs:
Old 08-05-2007, 12:07 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Originally Posted by FDragger
the sooner the better. my left side of my nose had a really small opening compared to my right. hopefully this procedure clears things up :hs:
Same, I always have ear fullness :hs:.

duck squad member #00003
Old 08-05-2007, 12:22 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no fucking way, I had mine done on Thursday too. They did a radio wave turbinite reduction as well. I really don't have a problem with pain or discomfort, and past the first day and removing the packing [okay, that hurt] theres not much of a problem.

:edit:

talking about how bad we WERE, my turbinates were touching the septum on both sides.

Chanc, clarinex should help with a dysfunctional eustachian tubes, though the only full rememdy I've found is puncturing holes in my ear drums (which I have done consistently for years) You should think about getting adult tubes put in.

Last edited by sherwood; 08-05-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:43 PM
94civicEX
I got worms.

Originally Posted by sherwood
no fucking way, I had mine done on Thursday too. They did a radio wave turbinite reduction as well. I really don't have a problem with pain or discomfort, and past the first day and removing the packing [okay, that hurt] theres not much of a problem.

:edit:

talking about how bad we WERE, my turbinates were touching the septum on both sides.

Chanc, clarinex should help with a dysfunctional eustachian tubes, though the only full rememdy I've found is puncturing holes in my ear drums (which I have done consistently for years) You should think about getting adult tubes put in.
It's caused by sinus problems from my deviated septum.

You puncture your ear drums :eh:

duck squad member #00003
Old 08-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Black2KGSR

I know a few people that had a deviated septum and had migraines...they did it and said their migraines went away afterwards.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:32 PM
AcuraFanatic

Sounds yummy