Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

N***** no more

Old 07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default N***** no more

OK before I get strung up for the thread title allow me to say that the NAACP is who made this announcement and not me so take it with a grain of salt please.

NAACP symbolically burys N word By COREY WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer
50 minutes ago

There was no mourning at this funeral.

Hundreds of onlookers cheered Monday afternoon as the NAACP put to rest a long-standing expression of racism by holding a public burial for the N-word during its annual convention.

The ceremony included a march by delegates from across the country from downtown Detroit's Cobo Center to Hart Plaza. Along the way, two Percheron horses pulled a pine box adorned with a bouquet of fake black roses and a black ribbon printed with a derivation of the word.

The coffin is to be placed at Detroit Memorial Park Cemetery and will have a headstone.

"Today we're not just burying the N-word, we're taking it out of our spirit," said Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. "We gather burying all the things that go with the N-word. We have to bury the 'pimps' and the 'hos' that go with it."

He continued: "Die N-word, and we don't want to see you 'round here no more."

The N-word has been used as a slur against blacks for more than a century. It remains a symbol of racism, but also is used by blacks when referring to other blacks, especially in comedy routines and rap and hip-hop music.

"This was the greatest child that racism ever birthed," the Rev. Otis Moss III, assistant pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, said in his eulogy.

Public discussion on the word's use increased last year following a tirade by "Seinfeld" actor Michael Richards, who used it repeatedly during a Los Angeles comedy routine and later issued a public apology.

The issue about racially insensitive remarks heated up earlier this year after talk show host Don Imus described black members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos" on April 4.

NAACP National Board Chairman Julian Bond repeated the call during the opening address Sunday night for the 98th annual convention, which runs through Thursday.

"While we are happy to have sent a certain radio cowboy back to his ranch, we ought to hold ourselves to the same standard," Bond said. "If he can't refer to our women as `hos,' then we shouldn't either."

Black leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, have challenged the entertainment industry and the American public to stop using the N-word and other racial slurs.

The NAACP held a symbolic funeral in Detroit in 1944 for Jim Crow, the systematic, mostly Southern practice of discrimination against and segregation of blacks from the end of post-Civil War Reconstruction into the mid-20th century.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Civic2Scooby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how retarded....I bet you I could drive down to detroit right now and still hear this dead word everywhere used by the very people it is racist against

Last edited by Civic2Scooby; 07-09-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:28 PM
s2ktonv

Yeah, that'll work.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 PM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

Means nothing. People are still going to use it.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:31 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

They have better chances of winning the lottery than making that work. h:
Old 07-09-2007, 12:36 PM
jlammy
w00t

waste of fucking time

Team B.O.B.™ - Ballaz on a Budget

R.I.P Huan Vo 11-19-2008
Old 07-09-2007, 12:43 PM
thomas
pew pew pew

hahaha thats gonna work its dead now LOL
Old 07-09-2007, 12:45 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2pac is dead but they still talk about him.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
how retarded....I bet you I could drive down to detroit right now and still hear this dead word everywhere used by the very people it is racist against
i'll step outside and hear the homeless say it h:

all this shit just pisses me off
Old 07-09-2007, 12:54 PM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

Ninja please......good luck with it.