Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

TV/Electronics Crew: Upconverting DVD?

Old 07-04-2007, 04:41 PM
dubcac
I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sherwood
I'd need to know the exact equipment you have and what you expect to do with it, I usually find decent solutions for this kind of stuff because, well, it's just what I do

:edit:

can't you just run it all through the home theater system?

currently I'm running
Cable Box->DVD recorder->audio:hometheater->audio:TV
.................................->video:TV
My home theater in a box has a receiver/dvd/vhs combo. It has the dvd audio inside it, thus only has one input...which would be used for TV audio. However, I would want to use a better dvd player than it has. So either I need a way to put two audio inputs into one, or I get a new home theater setup that has an upscaling dvd player with HDMI.

currently:

cable box --> home theater w/dvd

want:

cable box + dvd --> home theater w/dvd, one input only
Old 07-04-2007, 04:47 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dubcac
My home theater in a box has a receiver/dvd/vhs combo. It has the dvd audio inside it, thus only has one input...which would be used for TV audio. However, I would want to use a better dvd player than it has. So either I need a way to put two audio inputs into one, or I get a new home theater setup that has an upscaling dvd player with HDMI.

currently:

cable box --> home theater w/dvd

want:

cable box + dvd --> home theater w/dvd, one input only
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882676057

you will be able to funnel the TV through that... and it might actually upconvert the TV signal as well h:

apparently a bunch of there recorders/players don't support 1080p over HDMI... though the farquida chips are probably the best on the market... hrm

Last edited by sherwood; 07-04-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:53 PM
dubcac
I

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882676057

you will be able to funnel the TV through that... and it might actually upconvert the TV signal as well h:
All I need to run is the audio. Cable box will be directly connected to the TV thru HDMI. I would like an HDMI dvd player, and the samsung one I posted upconverts to 1080p. I was figuring I could just run a couple Y-splitters on the receiver/dvd player combo that I have now, and just use it as a receiver...not a dvd player.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:01 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

All I need to run is the audio. Cable box will be directly connected to the TV thru HDMI. I would like an HDMI dvd player, and the samsung one I posted upconverts to 1080p. I was figuring I could just run a couple Y-splitters on the receiver/dvd player combo that I have now, and just use it as a receiver...not a dvd player.
Well, in this case... why not just go:

DVDplayer->TV
home theater->TV
cable->TV
then...
TV->home theater

because of companies rushing to get HDMI out there i'm not so sure of the audio muxing of the systems... if the audio can be piped alogside the video with the HDMI outs/ins this is probably the best method to avoid any sound/video delays you might experience as the TV is spliting the signals at the same time.....

this is why I am against the rushing of spec.
:edit2:
I'm the edit king today... ok that TV has an optical out for audio, the DVD player will stream the audio with the HDMI, so I don't see anything stopping you from doing as I just outlined. I know i'm a mess right now... it's independence day, gie me a break

Last edited by sherwood; 07-04-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:01 PM
hitman619
SDSU Basketball

Originally Posted by Chris WebMaster
What kind of TV do you own?
I own 4
But the tv we tried this on is a 32" JVC LCD

JVC LT-32X776 is the model
Old 07-04-2007, 05:12 PM
dubcac
I

Well, in this case... why not just go:

DVDplayer->TV
home theater->TV
cable->TV
then...
TV->home theater

because of companies rushing to get HDMI out there i'm not so sure of the audio muxing of the systems... if the audio can be piped alogside the video with the HDMI outs/ins this is probably the best method to avoid any sound/video delays you might experience as the TV is spliting the signals at the same time.....

this is why I am against the rushing of spec.
:edit2:
I'm the edit king today... ok that TV has an optical out for audio, the DVD player will stream the audio with the HDMI, so I don't see anything stopping you from doing as I just outlined. I know i'm a mess right now... it's independence day, gie me a break
Good call...run the DVD and Cable box thru the TV and HDMI, then run RCA out to the home theater. I don't need anything from the home theater to input to the tv, just output from tv and new dvd player to the home theater. However, will it be ok to run standard RCA's and get 5.1 out of it?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:13 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Good call...run the DVD and Cable box thru the TV and HDMI, then run RCA out to the home theater. I don't need anything from the home theater to input to the tv, just output from tv and new dvd player to the home theater. However, will it be ok to run standard RCA's and get 5.1 out of it?
you won't get 5.1 out of 2 audio outs. I take it your home theater doesn't have an optical in?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:19 PM
dubcac
I

I don't believe so, because it has the DVD player in it already...it doesn't need it.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

yea that wont work.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:22 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

I don't believe so, because it has the DVD player in it already...it doesn't need it.
This is why I buy solidary components. h:

but in this case you won't be able to get 5.1 out of it anyway. time to get a real home theater and kiss VHS goodbye