Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Women Circumsized WTF

Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tark
this is not true.... it is done because it is part of there culture. It is women that bring there child in to get it done... that same woman that 30 years ago had her own cutting done. It's a paasage right for some young girls, it is deeply in there traditions and culture they know that they will get it done.

but you do bring up a interesting question, how do girls that know they will have it done accept it? are they happy, fearing, dreading, looking forward to it :dunno:
It is done as part of their culture for those reasons.. more often then not.. they're forced. Death or mutilation.

You have to realise that alot of these cultures see women as merely property to be owned by the husband...
Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Tark

Originally Posted by EriksShadow
It is done as part of their culture for those reasons.. more often then not.. they're forced. Death or mutilation.

You have to realise that alot of these cultures see women as merely property to be owned by the husband...
and that is were you are wrong Jenna, contraly to what you think in those parts of the world the Female is high respected.

anywais i said what i had to say i still think it's cruel digusting. But thats just a difernece that needs to be accepted and until the females decide they dont want to follow this tradition anymore it will always be part of there lives.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Biffs_muse
When in doubt, mumble

Originally Posted by Tark
this is not true.... it is done because it is part of there culture. It is women that bring there child in to get it done... that same woman that 30 years ago had her own cutting done. It's a paasage right for some young girls, it is deeply in there traditions and culture they know that they will get it done.

but you do bring up a interesting question, how do girls that know they will have it done accept it? are they happy, fearing, dreading, looking forward to it :dunno:
You're only choosing to mention the cultural aspect of it...there are more than culture and religion and "rights of passage" that they do this practice for.
The main reasons for FGC can be categorized into four most common social justifications, and one financial:
  1. The custom and tradition of becoming a woman involves this "rite of passage" from childhood to adulthood (ensuring she is good marriage material);
  2. A desire to control women's sexuality (virginity, morality and marriageability);
  3. A cultural practice that sometimes has a religious identification (a female's honor is a reflection on her entire family, and believing it is God's will);
  4. Social conformity to the community;[15]
  5. FGC is a primary source of income for many midwives/practitioners, who propagate the practice.
To control the woman's sexuality is a BIG factor in this practice. In practical terms this was probably the initial reason it became a "tradtion or a rite of passage" they made it into an expected thing once a girl reached a certain age. Many of the other reasons corrolate directly to controlling her sexuality. The last reason is my favorite...because its the primary source of income for the FGC practitioner. Forget what its doing to these young girls, these people NEED their money.

The country in question Egypt, is one of the countries that routinely practices the most severe form of FGC.
The countries that practice FGC the most are: Somalia, followed by Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Mali. Among ethnic Somali women, infibulation is traditionally almost universal. In the Arab peninsula, Sunna circumcision is usually performed, especially among Arabs (ethnic groups of African descent are more likely to prefer infibulation).
And what is Infibulation?
Type III is the most severe form of FGC and is called infibulation or pharaonic circumcision (referring to the Pharaohs who were thought to practice this form). Infibulation involves extensive tissue removal of the external genitalia, including all of the labia minora and the inside of the labia majora, leaving a raw open wound. The labia majora are then held together using thorns or stitching and the girl's legs are tied together for two - six weeks, to prevent her from moving and allow the healing of the two sides of the vulva. Nothing remains of the normal anatomy of the genitalia, except for a wall of flesh from the pubis down to the anus, with the exception of a pencil-size opening at the inferior portion of the vulva to allow urine and menstrual blood to pass through, see Diagram 1D. This type of FGC is often carried out by an elderly matron or midwife of the village on girls between the ages of two and six, without anaesthetic and under unhygienic conditions.[11]
both quotes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_circumcision
Old 06-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

^^ Can't argue with that.

I'm not saying it's the case everywhere Tark.. nor am I saying every third world culture sees women that way.. but in these cases... unfortunaly.. more often then not it's the case. And more often then not.. these girls don't have a choice.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:09 PM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Tori Amos Cornflake Girl.

do it.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:46 PM
AcuraFanatic

Why does your view on this fail to surprise me?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 PM
AJ²06

I say let the vagina be... let it be!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
jconeab
got the nuts

this kinda seems like something that might/could be transferred to the "on topic" section....

yea, this is kinda weird though. i completely understand how the different opinions arise from this though. it's a very different culture and we can't judge or base anything off of how we live, or what our society tells us what is right or wrong.