Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

U.S. Gun Laws Draw Heat After Massacre

Old 04-18-2007, 05:37 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was a only a matter of time before this sort of comments began popping up. sadly this is just a touch too soon, but anti-gun fanatics will go to any means necessary to prevent what they see as a dangerous element in american society.

i just ignore this sort of comments:
a. because for starters its not even americans bitching, its other countries, some of which depend on the US for alot of aid.

b. ignoring these comments instead of bringing them to the light of the majority infuriates the anti-gun advocates that much more.

and as a comment to all those who say no guns is a good thing.... if as a civilian population we have no means by which to defend ourselves we leave ourselves open not only to criminals and outside evils , but to the evils of our own government as well. if the government has no fear from its population then what stops them from total and absolute domination of the civilian population. that may sound a bit extreme, but if you really think about it its true....if the population has no viable defense by which to stand up to a corrupt government then what stops that government from absolute control?

a point in case, china. the chinese are not allowed to own guns, large reasoning being that private ownership of guns is deadly to the chinese regime, instead of civil protest that the government can easily control they would have armed civilians who once completely fed would have the ability to stand up and say no and defend themselves without absolute slaughter.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
The guns were purchased LEGALLY by him. Perhaps he filed off the serial numbers.
That makes no sense at all. Why would you purchase guns legally then file off the serials if you were going to go on a shooting spree anyway???
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by Pete
That makes no sense at all. Why would you purchase guns legally then file off the serials if you were going to go on a shooting spree anyway???
cuz going on a shooting spree makes sense to begin withh:
Old 04-18-2007, 05:49 AM
flyromeo3

Originally Posted by rebeld
it was a only a matter of time before this sort of comments began popping up. sadly this is just a touch too soon, but anti-gun fanatics will go to any means necessary to prevent what they see as a dangerous element in american society.

i just ignore this sort of comments:
a. because for starters its not even americans bitching, its other countries, some of which depend on the US for alot of aid.

b. ignoring these comments instead of bringing them to the light of the majority infuriates the anti-gun advocates that much more.

and as a comment to all those who say no guns is a good thing.... if as a civilian population we have no means by which to defend ourselves we leave ourselves open not only to criminals and outside evils , but to the evils of our own government as well. if the government has no fear from its population then what stops them from total and absolute domination of the civilian population. that may sound a bit extreme, but if you really think about it its true....if the population has no viable defense by which to stand up to a corrupt government then what stops that government from absolute control?

a point in case, china. the chinese are not allowed to own guns, large reasoning being that private ownership of guns is deadly to the chinese regime, instead of civil protest that the government can easily control they would have armed civilians who once completely fed would have the ability to stand up and say no and defend themselves without absolute slaughter.

If we were all allowed to have a pistol at home I guarantee you there would be less crime.

It will leave the potential criminal thinging twice before breaking into or trying to harm someone.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
If we were all allowed to have a pistol at home I guarantee you there would be less crime.

It will leave the potential criminal thinging twice before breaking into or trying to harm someone.
i dont understand where your going with this... anyone who can pass a background check can purchase a pistol for home use.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:45 AM
reno96teg

Originally Posted by b00gers
You cant give the country the ability to own firearms, have firearms in homes and on the street...then say..."opps, my bad...you cant own them anymore." There is NO way for them to unarm everyone. Laws will just affect those who abide by it...and people who commit crimes kinda already dont abide by them.

I agree that gun laws arent perfect. Actually, I think some needs to be more harsh, such one crimes in which firearms are involved. You want to commit a crime with a firearm, put your ass away. Its pretty messed up that those who collect firearms, practice sharp shooting, hunt, or want to protect themselves / family / property will have to suffer.
agreed 100%, especially the part i bolded.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 AM
JGordon

i dont understand where your going with this... anyone who can pass a background check can purchase a pistol for home use.
Not in Queens, NY.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:03 AM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

Originally Posted by JGordon
Not in Queens, NY.
as long as you can pass the required checks how can a state stop you from owning a legal firearm?

i dont understand what a city could do to prevent you from doing that?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 AM
JGordon

as long as you can pass the required checks how can a state stop you from owning a legal firearm?

i dont understand what a city could do to prevent you from doing that?
Not certain on any of this, so anyone in the NYC area care to clarify? This is my understanding:

You can apply for a permit for a pistol at a cost of $170/3 years. This permit only allows you to have the firearm at your primary residence, and the gun must be registered. The applicant must provide a photo, fingerprints, and physical description to the licensing agency. I have heard the wait time after applying for one of these permits is up to 6 months. If you have a permit and want to go to a range, the firearm and ammo must be carried in separate locked boxes in your car.

While still legal to have a firearm in NYC, there's a lot more hoops you have to jump through than just about anywhere else, and a lot of people don't want to do the rather intrusive "registration" thing.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 AM
bnuk

I guess I am not for increasing overall "gun control" I think it needs to be changed. As it is right now, it is very easy for someone to go buy numerous handguns at a gun show or a state with little gun laws and then go to urban areas and sell them off by the dozen. In once sense I would like to see a restriction against the number of guns someone can own, but that goes right against the point of the second amendment: which is for militias and indivuals to be able to defend themselves from the government.

Just saying that "criminals will always be able get guns" just makes you sound dumb, nothing is that black and white. Yes, some criminals will always get guns, probably most of the "real" criminals will still have them. But most murders are not done by career criminals. Most murders are not premeditated and are the result of a fight or are domestic disputes. Like anyhting else there are those criminals one end of the spectrum that will do anything to get a gun, and then on the other end there are those Gs in high school who feel cool cause they have a glock in the waistband of their sweats. not that I support it, but you cannot deny that gun control would take away some of the guns from one end of that spectrum. You can debate the quanity and drawbacks of doing but denying obvious facts doesn't get you anywhere.

I think the right of the average joe to own a gun is a neccacary evil of the second ammendment, I just think we need to have better control of how guns are sold and where guns are going.

Last edited by bnuk; 04-18-2007 at 07:39 AM.