Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

HTB thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:31 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
Thats allways the best way to test anything out. Try bringing a mix of things. Make sure to have a least one classical song on there, classical is one of the most demanding types of music for an audio system. An active sub has it's own amp and plugs into it's own AC outlet. A system with an active sub tends to have more detailed mids and highs due to the fact that the sub isn't working off of the same amp the surround speakers are. I say tends because this isn't always true. Im super satisified with my Sony 1000W Dream System, HTIB at it's best. Aside from Denon. Good luck.
Denon. I wish. :sad: I think this setup would work for me in the meantime. You're right Ali, I probably would end up just buying a higher end setup anyway instead of upgrading this one.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:34 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red94teg
Denon. I wish. :sad: I think this setup would work for me in the meantime. You're right Ali, I probably would end up just buying a higher end setup anyway instead of upgrading this one.
A lot of people wish. Hell, I wish. We had the 2.1 setup up on a pioneer plasma with XBOX 360. It sounded better than the bose 3-2-1 system by a landslide.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

I have a 12% off coupon for best buy which I think I can use towards this setup...that would save me a little I guess.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

As long as it's not expired and applies to the Home Audio dept. I take it it's a Reward Zone coupon??
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
As long as it's not expired and applies to the Home Audio dept. I take it it's a Reward Zone coupon??
werd. You just never know though...there are so many damn exclusions on those things. :a:
Old 06-28-2006, 12:39 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

In regards to Andrew's post, how can I find out if the firmware on the DVD player is upgradeable before buying it? I have a couple Divx movies from a couple years ago I'd like to watch. :rick:
Old 06-28-2006, 12:42 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

No one at Best Buy will know, it's not a regularly asked question. I work there, trust me. Find the model you want online, and call the manufactuer.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:51 PM
cpvdh

only advice i have is dont get a reciever with built in dvd player
i like my stuff seperate and if something breaks im not up shit creek
also, active sub is nice, allows more power to be diverted elsewhere, but its overkill for most of us
if you actually think you will want to upgrade this system to something really nice in the future then just focus on the receiver, its the brain of the operation and the most important part
if i was to do it over again i would bave bought a nice denon or onkyo reciever and then a 6.1 jbl set to go with it, thats like $600, but its damn nice and upgradeable later
Old 06-28-2006, 07:26 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

I can't even afford a $600 setup...BTW the receiver and DVD player are separate units with the system I'm looking at so that won't be an issue. Unless anybody thinks otherwise, I'm going to get it.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:39 AM
nevets
WAAAGH!!

i usually recommend onkyo to my customers. but best buy doesnt carry them.