Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Global Warming Dissenters Suppressed?

Old 04-12-2006, 01:17 PM
reno96teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global Warming Dissenters Suppressed?

http://science.slashdot.org/article....6/04/12/201235
"Global Warming has become more than just a scientific issue and has been portrayed as nothing less than the End of the World by some. However, despite all the hoopla from Hollywood, Politicians and Science Bureaucrats, there is another side, but it's being suppressed according to Richard Lindzen, an Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT. From the article: 'Scientists who dissent from the alarmism have seen their grant funds disappear, their work derided, and themselves libeled as industry stooges, scientific hacks or worse. Consequently, lies about climate change gain credence even when they fly in the face of the science that supposedly is their basis.'"
shocker..
Old 04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Hehehe... completely unbiased scientist I would assume:

http://www.sierraclub.org/globalwarm...es/harpers.asp
Lindzen, for his part, charges oil and coal interests $2,500 a day for his consulting services; his 1991 trip to testify before a Senate committee was paid for by Western Fuels, and a speech he wrote, entitled "Global Warming: the Origin and Nature of Alleged Scientific Consensus," was underwritten by OPEC.
Regardless, I welcome scientific discourse. We should investigate and review all sources of scientific evidence that can be provided. But, the perponderance of evidence points that global weather patterns may be adversely affected by our industry, and, gasp, even if global climate change is not hugely influenced by humans, by golly, we'll just have to live with the side effects of cleaner air, cleaner water, decreased dependence on fossil fuels, etc etc.

It's like having home-owners insurance. You wouldn't own a house without being insured, would you? This is the same thing... Global climate change is a very possible event, and if it doesn't happen, we're at least better off to deal with a host of other issues that may arise as well. We should plan and prepare for the future.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Sloan is the management school at MIT, not the atmospheric science school
Old 04-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by Kestrel

He could be given research grants by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation? :dunno:
Old 04-12-2006, 02:31 PM
mayonaise

Lindzen, for his part, charges oil and coal interests $2,500 a day for his consulting services; his 1991 trip to testify before a Senate committee was paid for by Western Fuels, and a speech he wrote, entitled "Global Warming: the Origin and Nature of Alleged Scientific Consensus," was underwritten by OPEC.
i don't think this proves any kind of bias or corruption whatsoever. consultants are usually paid, aren't they? and if i'm going to take days off of work to make a speech/testify somewhere, i'm at least going to get a free trip out of it if i can. i'm willing to bet that the sierra club funds trips for professors to go make speeches and testify to various government bodies, and pays for their consultation services, too. what's the difference?

Originally Posted by Kestrel
yea, i dunno what that's about. but he is who he says he is:
http://eapsweb.mit.edu/people/person...ty&who=lindzen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lindzen
Old 04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by mayonaise
i don't think this proves any kind of bias or corruption whatsoever. consultants are usually paid, aren't they? and if i'm going to take days off of work to make a speech/testify somewhere, i'm at least going to get a free trip out of it if i can. i'm willing to bet that the sierra club funds trips for professors to go make speeches and testify to various government bodies, and pays for their consultation services, too. what's the difference?
$2500/day is a LOT of money. Regardless, it would scare me more that he's giving a report on Global Warming that was underwritten by OPEC, and testifying this to congress.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:45 PM
reno96teg

regardless, all angles should be researched. i think we all agree on that.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:09 PM
mayonaise

Originally Posted by Epoch
$2500/day is a LOT of money. Regardless, it would scare me more that he's giving a report on Global Warming that was underwritten by OPEC, and testifying this to congress.
$2500 isn't that bad for a person of that level (in his field) to personally do consulting work. anyone with great credentials, does extremely specialized work, or is very well known in their field (in this case, all three) can always get a fat pay check.

it doesn't say anywhere in that link that he delivered the OPEC-underwritten speech to congress - which makes this no different than another consulting gig. being paid for his time doesn't mean anything. and again, i'm willing to bet that the sierra club and every other major environmental organization compensates its consultants/experts/professors/etc very well. so what would the difference be?

anyways, i agree with reno and your initial posting in that all scientific possiblities need to be investigated fully. this is what science is supposed to be about.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 PM
reno96teg

Originally Posted by mayonaise
$2500 isn't that bad for a person of that level (in his field) to personally do consulting work.
:werd: my company recently had a consultant in quoting his service close to, or above $1MIL.

he probably wouldn't have even been there 6 months. that is well over $2500/day, and this is just for a manufacturing company.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:48 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

im not worried... i figure ill be dead by then h: doesnt make sense to me anyways... its like having a dozens of ice cubes in a full cup of water... when the ice melts.. it doesnt raise the water level h: im sure there is more to it than that...but i just dont care h: