Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Used car gurus, come hither!

Old 03-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used car gurus, come hither!

So I'm helping a friend buy a Subaru Outback. We found an 01 Limited Wagon up in Sacremento listed at ~$12K with 86K miles, yet KBB lists the dealer price at $15.3K (it's at a used car lot). Carfax checks out clean, and the interior and exterior appear very good in the dealer photos. So...I need opinions. Too good to be true? Or just a really good deal? Anything that we need to verify?

Also, how do you bargain when the car you want to buy is cheaper than the KBB price? :thinking:
Old 03-09-2006, 06:29 AM
fstop128

my dad has a 98 outback he paid $10,000 for 2 yrs ago. price is good. only issue he has had with it is the paint peeling on the hood and power window problems. all the outbacks he looked at the paint peeled in the same place on the hood. window thing is due to the age.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

i would say it's legit... just didn't sell so they started lowering the price.. just check it front to back top to bottom when u go to pick it up
Old 03-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

is it at the subaru dealer or a "pot lot" ? if it's a pot lot, BEWARE! i work for a honda dealer, and the trade-ins that aren't suitable for our front line get wholesaled, and guess where they end up?! we're talking the 160k mile prelude si with a bad tranny, or the civics that we can't certify because they need soooo much work to be up to par. some of these cars actually look and drive great, it's surprising what a good once-over will reveal. take it to the subaru dealer for a full diagnostic with compression test before you buy. once you take delivery, you're SOL.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by Phateless
is it at the subaru dealer or a "pot lot" ? if it's a pot lot, BEWARE! i work for a honda dealer, and the trade-ins that aren't suitable for our front line get wholesaled, and guess where they end up?! we're talking the 160k mile prelude si with a bad tranny, or the civics that we can't certify because they need soooo much work to be up to par. some of these cars actually look and drive great, it's surprising what a good once-over will reveal. take it to the subaru dealer for a full diagnostic with compression test before you buy. once you take delivery, you're SOL.
I guess you'd call this a pot lot....it's just a used car lot from what I can tell. And that's exactly what concerns me...
Is there anything that would make it fairly obvious that this car has some serious issues with it? Or does it need to be inspected at Subaru beforehand?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

I've dealt with one before and almost a second. The second masked the Carfax report saying it was clean until a guy at my Honda dealer ran it for me and found it to be a gross polluter which is not good for a car or its owner. Also the engine would die everytime I pushed in the clutch to come to a stop which he claimed he would repair free of charge even if it needed a new engine.

If it is a pot lot ask if it comes with a warranty (usually 6mon./6000 miles where they pay 50% of repairs.)
Old 03-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Phateless
S2K compatible

i would say avoid pot lots. they charge full retail but you don't get any kind of accountability like you would at a dealer. with a dealer, at least you have the certified used programs. if you're gonna buy, DON'T give them any money until it's had a full diagnostic at the dealer. that $150 could save you thousands....

at my dealer everything goes through the shop, and the good ones get fully fixed up and put on the front line. it would blow your mind, sometimes we'll spend $2000 or more on a used car before we show it. i guarantee that pot lot wouldn't do that.

Last edited by Phateless; 03-10-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Thanks for the info, I'll let my friend know. It sounds like he's pretty set on getting this car though, so we'll see :happysad:
Old 03-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

all you have is your judgement. is the salesman your classic used car sleaze, or is he clean, professional, knowledgeable, etc...