Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

dieting and you

Old 01-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Kavikgold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dieting and you

If you are interested in dieting, exercises, and overall fitness and have something to say, then continue reading if you'd like to give your .02. Otherwise, you'll fine it boring. (thanks to clikwir)

5' 7"

Weight trained for a few years, and then a little over a year ago i weighed in at 197lbs. By no means was i all muscle though, I was pretty damn overweight..obese even. I started an extremely harsh diet plan for myself, stuck to it, and got down to 150.

Over the thanksgiving/winter times i have put on some weight again and now I am about at 157. Considering I haven't touched weights since July 05', and have stopped my cardio since thanksgiving, I know I'm not in the best shape I can be in.

Now I've decided to start the second phase of my dieting to finally get to the body I've always wanted. Unforuntately, I don't feel comfortable doing cardio right now. I've always run during the night (11p.m. to 1:00a.m.) because I find it very peaceful. Since its pretty effing cold (even in socali) during the dead of night, I feel I cannot get a good exercise in. And no, I do not like treadmills either, and no, I don't want to run during the day because I don't have time (work) and its too noisy (i know, weird).

So what I've decided to do is cut my food intake pretty drastically, and control it by purely looking at it as just enough energy to get me by. I'm also trying to start up weight training again, but I just don't feel I need to put on much more muscle mass as I feel good in that realm.

I wanted to get your opinion/ideas on what I should do as of right now. Mostly I am looking for your thoughts on food intake and how you would personally manage it, given my situation.

Once it warms up again I'll be nice and happy doing my cardio. And I will defintely be able to put a plan for myself together again, to get some things actually down and concrete. Right now though I defintely need to start getting on the mindset of dieting.

My overall in the end by summer is to be about 135 to 140, and significanty cut.

Last edited by Kavikgold; 01-31-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:32 PM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

Personally, I am ~190 5'9" right now. I was 200 the last week of december, and i got on top of it. I joined the Army and KNOW i have to be in shape. I run every day anywhere from 2-5 miles, and i try to swin every morning for 30 minutes. I do a ton of pushups/situps throughout the day, and I have completely changed my food intake.

Last edited by '98 EX RED; 01-31-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:32 PM
canada

Plain and simple... if you cut your food intake drastically while starting and maintaining a workout regmine, you will almost guarenteed NOT get good gains and can put your body at risk of health problems.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Kavikgold

Originally Posted by canada
Plain and simple... if you cut your food intake drastically while starting and maintaining a workout regmine, you will almost guarenteed NOT get good gains and can put your body at risk of health problems.
See that's the thing, my workout is virtually non-existant right now. Do you feel I will have actually negative effects a month down the road when I actually am able to get some time to get my exercising going?

Originally Posted by '98 EX RED
Personally, I am ~190 5'10" right now. I was 200 the last week of december, and i got on top of it. I joined the army and KNOW i have to be in shape. I run every day anywhere from 2-5 miles, and i try to swin every morning for 30 minutes. I do a ton of pushups/situps throughout the day, and I have completely changed my food intake.
Normally I run about 4 miles daily during the night, at an average pace of about 8 minutes a mile. I had tried swimming in once of my plans formyself earlier on, and it worked for a month, but after awhile I prefer to just run on the sterets. Pushups and situps I do daily as well, and am still doing because its not that hard to squeeze them in here and there.

Are there any things from army that you have learned that might help me out?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:37 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Sometimes I find it better to start out with an introduction sentance to at least let people know what you are talking about before getting half way through reading it and realizing it's just someone rambling on about something I care nothing about.

I hope you do good in your work out and stuff... but I thought this was going to be something interesting and it was... not.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:39 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

Originally Posted by Kavikgold
5' 7"
My overall in the end by summer is to be about 135 to 140, and significanty cut.
at 5'7" and 135-140 you will be one scrawny ass mofo....I'm 5'7" and I cut to 159lbs for wrestling and I'm pretty cut at that weight....I just decided to start bulking up again last week and I am at 175lbs of muscle. I'm not sure what type of body your going for in the 135-140lbs range but if it's not a chicks body I would start eating a healthy diet with about 2500 - 3000 calories, about 150 - 200 grams of protein and hit the gym 5 days a week....if you don't want to do cardio don't sweat it...the added muscle mass will boost your metabolism enough to take some fat off you....plus running at night isn't good for your sleep cycle...unless you plan on sleeping during the day
Old 01-31-2006, 02:39 PM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

I actually dont ship until May 25, but I have been learning from several current Rangers and veterans. Basically, eat HEALTHY not particularly less. Get some exercise in after each meal if possible, rather than eating and sitting, aloowing a good portion of energy to be stored as fat. Drink water. LOTS of water. I try to drink 4-5 bottles of water a day. Again, eat healthy and get everyhting that you need. I no longer drink Soda, Ill have some candy maybe 1 time a week, I take a daily multivitamin and usually a power bar at some point in the day to make sure I get all my needed vitamins and minerals.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:41 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

Are there any things from army that you have learned that might help me out?
oh fuck no....you did not just say he was in the Army...run for the hills man...you will have one crazy ass canadian hunting you down

unless you were talking to '98 EX RED ...I didn't know he was in the army....I thought you were talking to Canada h:
Old 01-31-2006, 02:41 PM
'98 EX RED
King of the Auto Civic

Originally Posted by LABARINTH
at 5'7" and 135-140 you will be one scrawny ass mofo....I'm 5'7" and I cut to 159lbs for wrestling and I'm pretty cut at that weight....I just decided to start bulking up again last week and I am at 175lbs of muscle. I'm not sure what type of body your going for in the 135-140lbs range but if it's not a chicks body I would start eating a healthy diet with about 2500 - 3000 calories, about 150 - 200 grams of protein and hit the gym 5 days a week....if you don't want to do cardio don't sweat it...the added muscle mass will boost your metabolism enough to take some fat off you....plus running at night isn't good for your sleep cycle...unless you plan on sleeping during the day
Running at night is fine as long as you are still able to find 8 hours to sleep. I am actually headed out for a quick run right now, and its 6.40. I go to sleep at 10.30 most nights, and am up at 6.30 to get my swim and a short, fast 1 mile in before work.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:42 PM
canada

See that's the thing, my workout is virtually non-existant right now. Do you feel I will have actually negative effects a month down the road when I actually am able to get some time to get my exercising going?
Well if you're not working out at all then you dont run the risk of passing out while working out or anything. :chuckles:

It might work better to intake a small amount less... but change the types of foods you are eating.