Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Locking my keys inside...possable??

Old 11-23-2005, 05:23 PM
simsurfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking my keys inside...possable??

One of my fears in life is locking my keys in the car with the engine running. Basically I am worried that if I enter the car, start the car up then get out and close the door to scrape snow and ice off, the door will lock by itself because the car is running and or there will be an electrical short of somekind and my doors will lock.

Is this possable or am I just worrying over nothing??

I say this as I sit at my desk and look out at my car being burried in snow

Thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 06:27 PM
accordsir86

it may be, depending on what kind of security setup u have. my car alarm doesnt let my drivers door lock if the engine is running or if the door is open. it locks by it self when all doors are closed, but if u open one lock to get out while ur car is runnin, then the door u opened stays unlocked. i think Honda factory keyless entry systems do the same thing.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Beeline

I'm a surfer we have to worry about taking keys out wih us to surf.

Sometimes we forget.

Always duct tape a spare to the underside of your car.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:42 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

Default Never happned to me!

It hasn't ever happened to me because my doors won't lock if my keys are in the ignition.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:33 PM
sibiryk

It happened to me but I locked a right door.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:42 PM
xpragmaticx
chipedge

I always, always, always, have a key and a remote door unlock in seperate magnetic key holders in my under carriage. It has saved me twice already. It's was 35 bucks for me to get my key copied at a Honda Dealership and 10 bucks for the remote on ebay, but well worth it.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:57 PM
txcc02

I have a valet set and a second set for my Civic. It won't let me lock the door with my remote while the door is open or ignition has key.

If you have to get out to scrape ice leave the door ajar-if ice has built up the car is cold and the heater ain't hot your not loosing any heat by leaving the door open just in case.

I gave a copy to friends and famliy so I just call them if none of the above work or I leave my keys in the mall like I have done before. They can't charge $50.00 for a lock or a lift for that matter. They can just come visit and help me out at the same time.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:13 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i usually keep 2 sets of keys on me just in case h:
Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 PM
lk21joker
AnotherAccordOwner

I always carry two keys, one in the key chain and the valet key in the wallet. Guess what, I left two keys inside once in a car wash (wallet in side the car and the key chain still in the ignition). I ended up breaking the rear little window and replaced it for $35.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 AM
Jon02Accord

i once left my 84 car locked and running when i was in high school, didnt know about it til one of the teachers came to me halfway thru the day and said that white smoke (steam) was coming from my car. it had been idling for a few hours and had to have another kid drive me home to get another key. had it checked out and no damage. i also left my 97 running at work one day and didnt know about it til about 4 hours later. no smoke this time but had to call a roommate to bring another key. i used to get in the habit of lifting the door handles to close and lock the doors that it was second nature, even enough to do it while the car was running. i am glad i have keyless on my 02 cause i wont even lock the car when i get out of it with the door switch or the latch, just out of paranoia. i always use the keyless to lock my doors now.