Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

do i really need spyware cleaner and virus cleaner?

Old 10-11-2005, 01:22 PM
meredithf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say yes to both. i had the "pleasure" of working for an ISP a while back and you might be surprised at how much spyware, not just viruses, can jack up your internet connection (among other things). i just mention the internet connection as an example... i would spend 30minutes trying to politely explain to someone its not our shitty service that prevented them from getting online, it was the crap on their pc.
that was more of a rant than i intended. so, yeah, to both. ad-aware and spybot are good
Old 10-11-2005, 01:52 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Norton for AV. Yes, it's good to have.

Adaware and Spybot for spyware. Yes, it's good to have.

Using and understanding the computer like a smart person with some common sense is even better to have. I haven't had active AV running all the time for the past year, never had a virus.

Also do a scan with latest adaware and spybot and have not found anything for close to a year now.

I have a linux firewall. Use Firefox for web and Thunderbird for email. A good understanding of how things work and what to be suspicious of. Good serving of common sense helps out too.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:54 PM
hakjai

I dont have antivirus, but i run adware and spybot every now and then.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:50 PM
antarius
Large Member

hHAhaha, made me laugh.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:07 AM
meredithf

Originally Posted by clickwir
Norton for AV. Yes, it's good to have.

Adaware and Spybot for spyware. Yes, it's good to have.

Using and understanding the computer like a smart person with some common sense is even better to have. I haven't had active AV running all the time for the past year, never had a virus.

Also do a scan with latest adaware and spybot and have not found anything for close to a year now.

I have a linux firewall. Use Firefox for web and Thunderbird for email. A good understanding of how things work and what to be suspicious of. Good serving of common sense helps out too.
well said.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:42 AM
87EBBronco
My other car's a Bronco

I use Symantec Corporate Edition for virus prot, I even update the definitions occaisionally.

For spyware I use a combination of three, AdAware which I manually run occaisionally, usually update the definitions when I run it (about once a month), Yahoo Anti-Spy which I manually run about once a month too but only update a bout every 3 months, and MicroSoft Anti-Spy which is set to run nightly but I only update it about every 2 months.

On the bright side I haven't been hit with spyware in almost a year now or a virus in years.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:49 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

my norton's updates automaticly & runs a scan nightly for viruses.

also, for spyware, i'm running the new microsoft software, free & downloadable from their site. It also does a nighly scan automaticly