Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Anybody have a Smart Phone/PDA?

Old 09-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have a Smart Phone/PDA?

What's up? My current Verizon contract has run out (or should shortly) and I was looking to get something with a few more features than my current VX6000. I was looking online at their Treo 650 and it looks impressive and I think I've seen people mention it on here but I can't remember who. Does anybody have one or have opinions on it? Anything better out there or coming out soon? I'm looking for something that will be comfortable to use to access the web/email. Anybody ever try sync'ing a Treo 650 to a Lotus Notes system? Thanks for any replies.

'06 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Stock, for now
'98 Civic EX - CTR headlights and grill, Kosei K1's, for sale
'90 240SX - SR20DET that will never get installed, project car.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:22 PM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

I have the Treo 600 and I like it. It's a little bit big for a phone but you get used to it and it's better than carrying a phone and palm. The screen does need to be cleaned quite often because it touches your cheek when you put the phone to your ear. The battery life is pretty good when your using the phone (about 3-5 days). But you can easliy kill your battery in a day if you play games on it. The screen does get a little bit washed out if you are in bright light. But cupping your and around it makes it visible again (this is only a problem in very bright light). My friends have told me that the buttons are a bit small for their fingers but I have no problem with them at all. And they way the keyboard is layed out I can type very fast on it.

Overall I give the phone an 9/10.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:48 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

I have a Treo 600 with Cingular service. I agree with the comments posted above.

The camera on the 600 is pretty crappy compared to the 650, and its missing some other features as well. On the other hand, I got the unlocked version really cheap, and I have a great digital camera, so it isn't as though I rely on the Treo to do anything other than be a combined Palm and mobile phone.

I recommend the Treo. I've heard good things about the Sony Ericsson P910.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Thanks guys. Battery life isn't really a concern, I'm in the habit of throwing my phone on the charger whenever I walk in the door anyway. I'm used to typing text messages off a normal flip open phone so any improvement will probably be nice. I don't really care about the camera (the camera on my VX6000 has failed and I never bothered to fix it), it's nice to take a quick picture of something but it wouldn't really be a dealbreaker if it didn't have one or it wasn't very good.

How is the transmitting power of your phones (still get a strong signal indoors or where other people drop calls?). Verizon doesn't offer any Sony phones (they have probably the best service around here) but they do have a Samsung SCH-i730 but it's pricey ($600). The Samsung does offer Wifi though, but I don't know how much I'd use it if I have an unlimited data plan. Anyone else?

Old 09-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Anybody else? Any opinions on how the phone does in weak signal conditions (my house is on the edge of a cell and I'm lucky to get 1 bar).

Old 09-27-2005, 04:13 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=207007

You may want to reconsider the Treo. It looks like PalmSource - the spinoff responsible for the development and licensing of the Palm OS - may fold. PalmOne may choose instead to license Windows Mobile for their future smartphones & PDAs.

Since very little revenue is being generated by PalmSource, the PalmOS may be dead.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 09-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Andy
Hybrid Forum Moderator

Thanks for the links. I was looking also at the Samsung SCH-i730, which Verizon offers. It's more expensive but also offers Wifi and is based on the Windows Mobile OS. Maybe I will have to reconsider it?

Old 09-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Tark

i got this and i love it! signal is great, options are cool... wish it had Wifi thought. I dont like the fact that i can txt with one hand.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

I just got the Treo 650 last sunday, and I love it. My contract with Verizon was up and they gave me a $100 credit towards my next phone. I find the 650 very easy to navigate and get things done on. There are tons of downloadable programs for it and you can watch video on it, too. I mainly got it (besides finally having a palm/phone in one device) because with the new dive computer I'm getting I can download all the data from it to my 650