Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Finally a Real Discussion

Old 09-04-2005, 06:20 PM
HallKemar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally a Real Discussion

Why are Hi-Flow Catalytic convertors illegal in the state of Ca., but legal in other states? Also, why are they so cheap on ebay? do they decay or something?
Old 09-04-2005, 06:37 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

High flow cats let more though the system. With pollution acts in place, these will only add to the smog problems in CA.

eBay parts are generic. These are often constructed in China using poor materials.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:49 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

I'm not too sure Hi Flow's are illegal in cali. I was under the impression that the only time it's illegal to change out the cat is when the one on the car is functional.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:05 PM
dubcac
I

There are some high flow cats that are CA legal, but not for OBD2 cars. Look for ones that are CARB exempt.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:22 PM
S2Kev

High flow cats allow more flow in the exhaust stream by reducing the size of the element inside them. That is the reason why they are soo cheap. A catalytic converter consists of three different materials, platinum, palladium, and rhodium.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:29 PM
Tobra

Originally Posted by VRGNCD5
I'm not too sure Hi Flow's are illegal in cali. I was under the impression that the only time it's illegal to change out the cat is when the one on the car is functional.
That is correct, it is illegal to remove functioning pollution control equipment.

I don't even think it is legal to sell a used cat, but I may be wrong on that one.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:47 PM
skabone69

Originally Posted by dubcac
There are some high flow cats that are CA legal, but not for OBD2 cars. Look for ones that are CARB exempt.
actually there are OBDII cats that are legal in cali.
http://www.car-sound.com/catalog/universal/430.aspx
Old 09-05-2005, 05:37 PM
S2Kev

Originally Posted by Tobra
That is correct, it is illegal to remove functioning pollution control equipment.

I don't even think it is legal to sell a used cat, but I may be wrong on that one.
You can sell a used cat, but I don't know who would buy it from you.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:08 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Originally Posted by Tobra

I believe it is illegal to sell used catalytic converters in CA. All the pick-&-pulls I've ever been to have them cut out of the cars before they're put in the yard for customers to pick parts off of.

Just as well you could sell anything used. In this case you wouldn't want certain people to catch you = big fines
Old 09-05-2005, 06:59 PM
S2Kev

Originally Posted by PacificDude
I believe it is illegal to sell used catalytic converters in CA. All the pick-&-pulls I've ever been to have them cut out of the cars before they're put in the yard for customers to pick parts off of.

Just as well you could sell anything used. In this case you wouldn't want certain people to catch you = big fines
If you really want to know why they do that, it is because catalytic converters are worth money. They sell them at scrap metal yards and get money back.